Thursday, November 17, 2005

Homemade Bread Day

Today is National Homemade BREAD Day!! I love bread...

I make my own...my husband is spoiled. He doesn't like to eat store-bought bread anymore, which is good because if you only knew what they put in that stuff...under the guise of better eating...HA!

Making your own bread is NOT as hard as you might think. A little extra effort goes a LONG way. My kids love it, too. And it gives you more control over fat and salt content in your diet...

PLUS I noticed that Greg does not eat as much homemade bread (because it's more filling than store-bought bread...)

Anyhow, here is my tried and true MUCH used recipe, it's the only most requested in my house! (You will need a bread machine, I use a Zo. I have owned every model and Zo is the way to go...Buy yours from my fave bread store: www.kingarthurflour.com it's the place where bakers go!)

Honey Oatmeal Bread

2 cups water
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt (I use Baker's salt but you can use regular table salt)
1 cup oatmeal (use regular, NOT instant or 1-minute)
4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons active yeast

Put all ingredients into your machine in the order listed, or by order recommended by the manufacturer. Usually this means liquids first, then solids like butter, then flour. Make absolutely certain that the yeast DOES NOT come in contact with either water or salt.

This is a GREAT toasting bread. Greg likes turkey sandwiches on this bread, slightly toasted...It's a winner!!

If you would like the recipe for Outback Bread, e-mail me!





 Posted by Picasa

No comments: