Saturday, May 27, 2006

freedom



















I love being an American.
I have lived in a foreign country, and so has my husband.
We know what it's like not to have EVERY comfort and convenience that is typical in our daily lives....

I have so much for which I am grateful. Although I was "patriotic" before marrying an ARMY man, my heart has grown and I now have a fuller appreciation of the true cost of freedom. I walk through Arlington, seeing the stones of men who fought in various wars, thinking "that was someone's baby... someone's husband, father, brother....and one day, it could be MY husband." Very sobering thought.

When I was a small girl, I would go to the Memorial Day parade. Sometimes my dad would hold me on his shoulders. EVERY TIME a Veteran walked by, My dad, a former Navy man, and countless other men stood and saluted. Respected them and honor their service and sacrifice. I wish it were still like that today. I do what I can to honor our men and women. Sending care packages to troops far from home. It' s a small thing, but to some, it might be a lifeline.

The point is that our men and women in uniform work VERY hard and do a great job. They keep us safe. And for that I am so thankful. If you would like to show a kindness to a soldier, e-mail me privately and I'll tell you how you can so this.

I am proud to be a part of the military community.
HOOAH and Happy Memorial Day! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you grew up with the ultimate small town life experiences. Here in Phoenix you can find just about anything you want but I always dreamed about that ideal life. Lucky you!