Wednesday, August 30, 2006

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

I have been up since 0440. I even woke before my husband did, which is a RARITY. I woke right up. You ever do that? You're just TOTALLY and instantly awake....and you know there's no way you're going back to sleep....well, that was me at 0440.

But I looked at it as a blessing, instead of grumbling and feeling cheated that I would miss some sleep. Shortly after my eyes opened, Adam toddled in for his morning snuggle (he fell back asleep and I stayed awake). Micaela and Jonathan start back to school on Tuesday and it will just be me and Adam, alone again. I am looking forward to just having him. I think he is, too. He won't have to share me. It makes the homeschooling MUCH easier.

Speaking of homeschooling, I enrolled both kids in some fun activities in our county. Micaela will do Gymnastics in November. I am not loading her schedule up. With her going into 1st grade, I don't want her overwhelmed.

Adam is taking LOTS of fun classes. Some of his classes are once a week, some are one-time only:

Family Art Time-designed for homeschooling families to work on art and reading.
Sports Mix- focuses on a different sport every week.
Soccer- it's not real soccer, more physical fitness. A way for him to burn off some energy. I don't know if I want my kids in organized sports yet. I might consider it in the future. Definitely not football. No way.
Nature Hiking- at a park close to our house.
and best of all, every Tuesday, he'll be taking a Science class at a center. That boy has a real aptitude for science and math. After the science class adjourns, he's taking (get this) a cooking class!!

I am excited about all of the opportunities for him. I left GOBS of down time, time for his lessons, and time to just play. This will be the year that will be most critical (I think) in his early education. It's the first year without his sister around all the time.

When I started homeschooling, I was so nervous. Could I do it? What if I screwed them up? It's challenging and it has its moments. But I won't regret this effort. I wouldn't miss this for the world.

:) Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Linda said...

You are going to do great. I have no patience when it comes to teaching my kids certain things. Hannah gets VERY upset if she doesn't 'get' it right away, and then she shuts down. does it with me AND Scott, but not at school. She is better off without a relative teaching her.

I was up at 2:00 a.m. But not because my body said wake up - I'm ready to SHOOT the train engineer who chugged through this morning. He laid on the whistle for FIVE solid minutes. Now - we're NOT close to the tracks, but it was SO loud this morning - kept me awake till 5:00 a.m. ugh.

Christy said...

It sounds like Adam's going to have a great time! We do organized sports, I loved them growing up and Jacob's played so far Basketball, Tball,and now he's playing soccer! He loves it! He's had a great time doing them all! :)

The activities sound really great and I have no doubt he's going to have a great time and really grow from them!

I really love home schooling Jacob too! I'm glad it works great for you and Adam!!!