Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Micaela turns 6
















Six years ago, my whole life changed.
My daughter, Micaela Elise Balvanz, was born. It was the beginning of the adventure.

We knew before she was born that she would have fragile x syndrome, of which I am a carrier. The prenatal testing had shown it when I was only 4 months along. Although the doctors told us she would be affected, they couldn't tell us how affected she would be. The gamut of affectedness can range from severe profound mental retardation to very mild learning disabilities. My husband and I were scared and worried about the unknown, but we knew that God would bless us with a beautiful daughter. And He did.

Micaela has been a joy, an absolute Godsend in our lives. Her level of affectedness is very low. She's a happy and joyful girl. She skips everywhere. She sings like Ariel from "The Little Mermaid". She has a pink room and draws on every scrap of paper. And she loves her life.

I am so blessed to know this child.
I am blessed to be her mother.
And I am so thankful that God chose me. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Linda said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Micaela! Suzanne, you've put it so beautifully...God truly does bless us, and he blessed you but good!

Love the picture of her "smiling" as a baby, where you can already tell she's got those awesome dimples!