Friday, September 08, 2006

check yourself

You know, I love reading MommyLife which is Barbara Curtis' blog at www.mommylife.net . She is a godly woman whose humor and writing style are always thought-provoking. Today she talked about how she's shed many pounds and with it, some feelings that helped her get fat and stay that way (I am paraphrasing. Go to Barbara's blog and read it.) I love that Barbara actually uses the word "FAT"...

But it got me thinking.....over eating is sooooo selfish. Sure, some of us have glandular problems. I do. I have a sluggish thyroid. But that doesn't give me permission to be a fat bottom girl. I feel like one. Although I barely weigh more than I did when my husband married me, age, having two more kids and lessened activity have shifted my weight and it is my responsibility to correct and maintain that.

I was cruising through town today, in a hurry, after we'd left the farm and I was hungry....Now I live in a small town WITH ONE DRIVE THROUGH.....McDonald's (which is disgusting to me). But still I wanted it. Because it's fast, it's there and I could just shove it in my mouth.

But I thought about it and I kept driving and stopped to buy fruit. I wanted a bag of Reese's mini cups but I settled for a bag of grapes (which Adam ate most of). I really wanted something salty and crunchy (but I replaced that with some crunchy rice cakes...)

it's all about choices. I don't want to die a fat, unhealthy woman, who will never hold her grandchildren. I love my life, my husband and my kids more than I love McNuggets. There's that moment....right before you do something stupid and I made the decision to choose something better for myself.

Just wanted y'all to know I am still trying to be vigilant about my food choices. Now that school is back in session, I can once again get back to walking. It just didn't happen this whole summer. I just have Adam now and we're making it part of our day.

To read another interesting blog, read this:
Melodee's blog at http://shrinkingmom.clubmom.com/amazing_shrinking_mom/

So what do you crave? I crave anything chocolate and peanut butter. Or mashed potatoes. That's pretty much ALL I crave. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

barbara curtis said...

Hey! I know the town you're talking aboutqfmaolfh! *big grin*

That McDonald's is so much more of a presence than it should be - just because it's the only drive-thru in town.

I should be finished with my book soon. We need to meet in person for coffee, Suzanne. I'm thinking 10/17 at 10am at Brew Mountain. Sorry to set this up so far in advance, but that's the only way I can make sure I do things. What do you think?

Linda said...

I'm with you on the chocolate and peanut butter...

Sugar tends to be my biggest downfall, but it most often has to be CHOCOLATE.

Again, like you, though, I love my family more than those bad foods. So, I've started Curves, and I'm hoping that the fit feeling will help me with the appetite. That's the hard part for me.

Mel said...

Hey, thanks for the link! :)

Mel said...

Hey, thanks for the link! :)