Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Jon
















This is my son, Jonathan, who is 18. Jonathan has fragile x syndrome. (he's mentally retarded and autistic.) He's never been much of an outdoorsey type of a guy, even as a kid. He loved parks but hated grass. Very happy IN the house. But to get him OUT of the house has always been a challenge....

Well, yesterday it was slightly warm but still chilly and I had to finish digging my garden to the proper depth for bulbs and I invited Jonathan out with me, just like I always do. I figured he would just stay inside. You could have knocked me over with a feather when he showed up on the porch. He was not happy about getting his hands dirty but he rallied and my garden is 95% dug. Doesn't he look happy here? He's a good kid. He has a kind heart and he wouldn't really hurt you intentionally. He's a good person. I am glad that I had him. I am a better person because of him.

Oh...he prefers to be called JON now.... Posted by Picasa

ETA: Picture taken with camera phone. Apologies for low quality of picture.

4 comments:

Linda said...

THAT was a camera phone picture? Dang girl...you can take a lousy resolution camera and make it work WONDERFULLY!

Now THAT'S talent - Jon, remember that your mom has a LOT of talent!!!!

Amy Mowbray said...

That's great that he came out with you. Kids are great. And what kind of phone do you have? It doesn't look like a cell phone picture!

SB said...

yep, I am lucky. I have a fellow gardener to help me now. (I need all the help I can get!)

I don't know what kind of phone I have. Sad I know. It's silver, from verizon wireless (evil....they ALWAYS screw up my bill) and it takes pictures but my HUSBAND'S phone is way better. His you can crop and manipulate the image. And hid does video....waaahhh, I am jealous.

quilt_clog_mom said...

Hi! Found your blog and enjoyed it--I too blog and am of mom of fx kids (2 boys, and one girl not affected). Your Jon reminded me of my youngest boy, Parker. Anyway, wishing you well via the blogger world.