Friday, November 17, 2006

my pilgrim sweetie


















You'd never guess how shy she really is.
My daughter, Micaela, has fragile x, just like her brother. Since she's female, it affects her in different ways. While she did not get the mental impairment, she did get the high anxiety and shyness of FXS.
But today, she floored me.....

She participated in a school program. Mind you, it was in her classroom, but she participated. A year ago, this might not have been possible. She was mired in her shyness. With excellent teachers, strong advocacy and a lot of Micaela's desire to belong, she's come out of her shell in a big way. I am tremendously proud of her. That doesn't mean she's home free....but she's learning in a typical classroom (with some assistance from an aide). She's interacting with her peers in an appropriate manner. I remember when she was a few months old, I would cry and cry, thinking she'd never roll over. And look at her now.....

My heart is a bit bigger today. Thanks for letting me share my moment, and my picture of the cutest darn Pilgrim girl ever! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Linda said...

How AWESOME! I'm proud of lil Miss Micaela, too! I especially love the serious picture of her...