Wednesday, November 29, 2006

pumpkins, fudge and a wooden spoon....

Is there something in your memory that immediately makes you think of the holidays from when you were a kid? We all have something. For me, it's Peanut Butter Oatmeal Fudge. You know, the no-bake kind. Love that stuff.

My kids love it, too. Just like my mom, I make it a special thing, Make it only once a year and your kids are guaranteed to eat it up...literally. For me, it's special. My mom would make it and then put it into the pumpkin shaped glass jar and then she'd use the Christmas tree jar as Christmas drew near.

I, too, had those same jars. It's like having a piece of my childhood on the counter. My husband thought I was kooky why I cried (literally) when I saw the pumpkin jar at a thrift store in Alaska. I really did cry. It made me giddy, thinking I would have those same jars, maybe let my kids sit on the counter and make holiday memories.

Well, that beautiful Pumpkin jar was broken in the move from AK to VA. It was THE ONLY THING broken in our move (which is GREAT for an OCONUS PCS- that's Outside Continental Permanent Change of Station). But it was crushing to me.

But I was rescued by my wonderful, beautful TARGET. While shopping, I saw the pumpkin jar on an end cap. I jumped up and down, whooping and hollering with delight!! People were staring. I told the story to an older woman, maybe in her 70's, and she recounted for me the tale of her own mother's wooden spoon, how she treasured it, knowing the wonders it had made. And how her house has burned down and all she could think of was that wooden spoon and the memories it held.

So do you have a wooden spoon or a pumpkin jar in your childhood memories?
If so, thank your Mom.
I can't help but wonder what it is that my own children will remember and treasure. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Linda said...

That's an awesome story. I am trying to think of what my "pumpkin" is...I don't think I really have one, which is sad. But I DO have the recipes, the food I learned to cook that will bless me way into my old age....

rennratt said...

I still have a mini plastic sweet n low spoon that my Gram had for YEARS. I also have all of her silverware. (dime store stuff in reality, but GOLD to me!)