Friday, February 23, 2007

studying van Gogh.....


Adam and I are concentrating on art today. We're prepping for a possible BIG field trip to an art museum mext week. (That in itself is an adventure because we'll travel INTO the district, on the Metro, which is you're 4 is way more exciting than actual art...)

Anyhow, we're focused on Vincent van Gogh. Adam expressed an interest in him so we're reviewing his work. Personally, I could immerse myself in his works. His use of color and composition just floor me. It just pulls me in. My favorite is Irises, Saint-Rémy: May, 1889. He painted it right before the sharp descent into the madeness that would later claim him. It looks so peaceful, a single white Iris standing amid the blue, alone....
And what a tortured life he had. Have you ever seen the movie "Vincent & Theo"? It's one of mine and Greg's favorites. I highly recommend, but beware, it is NOT for viewing with children. It's a graphic, no-holds-barred look into his madness and his art.
Today, it's art, laundry (language, colors in spanish), library, baking (math) and just maybe a trip to the park to see if the lake is frozen.
I'll leave with a quote I lifted off of Ali Edward's blog:
Vincent Van Gogh : Many people seem to think it foolish, even superstitious, to believe that the world could still change for the better. And it is true that in winter it is sometimes so bitingly cold that one is tempted to say, 'What do I care if there is a summer; its warmth is no help to me now.' Yes, evil often seems to surpass good. But then, in spite of us, and without our permission, there comes at last an end to the bitter frosts. One morning the wind turns, and there is a thaw. And so I must still have hope.
Hope....what a beautiful thing.
I look at van Gogh's Irises and I feel hope.

No comments: