Monday, April 02, 2007

Day 1

My kids are, for the most part, good kids.
They're just like yours: they bug the bejeezus out of me when I am on the phone, they never like what I cook and they ALWAYS clean their rooms.....HA!
But Spring Break is a "sepcial" time....they get BORED at everything I try.
NOTHING pleases them. These usually sweet children become demanding and petulant.
Well, I can't dig it this week. I am home alone (Hubby is TDY) and this means no hand-off to Daddy.

So I needed a plan....

I also needed dog food.

I set off for PetSmart....and each child had a worksheet. Each sheet has a variety of animals that they were responsible for finding. When they foung the animal, they had to raise their hand and "claim" the animal, after which they could circle it on their worksheet. If they were noisy or I had to fuss at them, they would get an "X" on their sheet. Three "x"s meant to Popcorn at Target.

Well, let me tell you....I've never had a better trip to PetSmart. Each child was well-behaved and pleasant. Other mothers, wrestling kids into carts and threatening bodily harm, were staring at them.....it was gooooooood.

After PetSmart, they earned a Popcorn Combo at Target. Best $3.00 I spent all day.

1 comment:

MelissaR said...

I wrote a comment and hit Enter, but I don't know if it went through or evaporated! I'll try again.

Great idea about worksheets for the store! Sounds as though the kids enjoyed it. I used to make activity sheets when I took my son (then 4-6 years old) to the grocery store. He'd be looking for different colors of fruits and vegetables, the lowest-priced brand of (whatever), the best sell-by date, and so on. All that observation paid off: he's now a great help at the store!