Monday, May 28, 2007

my Memorial Day





Kids and I trucked it all the way into DC.
Saw the Iwo Jima memorial. The kids literally gasped.
We had a LONG talk about freedom, sacrifice and duty.
We climbed to the top of the Carillon tower. They loved the bells.
We walked through Arlington. Talking more about loss, sacrifice and again, duty.
Micaela looked out over Arlington, and says "that's a lot of markers, Mom."
It sure is: more than 260,000 of them. Each cared for, each representative of someone's son, father, husband, friend. I am so grateful for my freedom. I'd always considered myself patriotic. But since I married into the military, I am as HOOAH as the next gal. I know that we are blessed to be free.

2 comments:

Military Mommy said...

Beautifully said. Thanks to your family for their service and commitment. Big hugs.

Beautiful pictures. Very touching, but something totally different when you are standing.right.there, huh. Life changing.

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I wish more people took the time to teach their children about the true meaning of Memorial Day. Iwo Jima was a particularly nasty battle. Have a fantastic week Suzanne!

JB