Monday, May 21, 2007

needs vs wants

Every once in a while, something happens that causes me to shut down, re-group and re-focus. Sometimes, it's a good thing. Sometimes, it's out of necessity...

Well, I am cleaning out rooms, getting rid of MASSIVE piles of clutter. I am hoping that my husband comes home and say "Wow..." I feel breathless and smothered by all the junk. My house is small and it feels even smaller because I am disorganized. I am freecycling like mad and trying to find a happy medium. Obviously adding on a room or buying a bigger house is not possible right now, so my solution: have less "stuff".

I used to be VERY materialistic. Not because I was wealthy. But because I was lucky (?) enough to have a boyfriends who spoiled me and bought me lots of stuff. One Christmas a guy bought me 47 gifts...I loved it at the time but I was selfish and had out-of-whack priorities. Well, I'm grown now and my focus is on better things. But not THINGS in general. That stuff doesn't matter to me anymore, and it hasn't for a long time.

So I have a bunch of "stuff". And I am not that person....the one who's into stuff. You know, fancy $400 purses that don't mean a thing. Clothes that you will never wear in your REAL life. They don't call them "trappings" for nothing, you know. I have felt the weight, both emotionally and financially, for quite some time. Well, I am freeing myself of the "stuff" that I have collected.

I am going to TRY to change this way of thinking. Even though I am not a "stuff" person anymore, I still have that mind-set, you know? It's HARD to turn away from what you want. Because in our culture, more means better. Well, that is contrary to what I believe in my heart. This is an effort to clean up in more ways than one.

This will also mean a HUGE purging of my scrapbooking and stamping items. Believe me, this has been a LONG time coming....

I want my house to be cleaner.
I don't want the burden of "stuff".

2 comments:

rennratt said...

While I have gone through random phases of materialism, my main problem is random clutter.

I joined Fly Lady a few years ago. Though I am not a strict follower, I do find freedom in getting RID of things.

Best of luck with your purge!

When you are done, please drive 4 hours south. I could use some of your help with cleaning up my scrapbook stuff!

Military Mommy said...

Amen, sister. I agree about the stuff. It can take.over.your.life. Glad you are getting rid of it!

sweet freedom!

Thanks for your sweet comments at my blog. Just wanted to let you know that your email is not shared in blogger. If you want it shared, just go in your profile and check that box. :)