Monday, July 30, 2007

perspective and preference

Something I deal with a lot on my job is perspective. My clients might have a certain look they want for their pictures. They might want certain poses, or a specific spot. I try to please them as best I can. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Photography, like any art, is subjective. What appeals to one might not to another. Like Greg and I. There are certain pictures that he's thrilled over that leave me lukewarm, and vice versa. I ran into that this morning with...of all people, Jonathan.

He passes by my bedroom, where I sit editing photos while he showers in the morning. He saw that I was editing photos of him so he wanted to see...SO he sat by my desk and we looked at pictures of him that I had taken just this weekend.

Here is the one that *I* like. Soft, smooth, presentable. He's actually looking AT the camera (which for a guy with Fragile X is a BIG deal...)



Then this is the one that Jonathan, the subject in question, likes. When I asked him what he liked, he said (and I quote) "It's me, but it's not me." How very artistic of him.



It's all about perspective...and preference.

2 comments:

FXSmom said...

Isn't it just awesome though that he shared his perspective!! I love it when Mat tells me what is going on inside his head. I usually wonder why and how he thinks like that but I definitely think its cool.

Peggy said...

I'm with you and like the top photo, and yes it IS a big deal when they look at the camera!!! He really looks peaceful.