Tuesday, August 14, 2007

bad news


Our yellow lab, Lucy, is in failing health.
She's not been well for a while. Kidney Failure, weight loss, confusion....
She's old and we knew she was not well.
But still it's tough, looking at her, a trusted and loved member of our family, knowing that she's dying.
We're taking her in on Saturday to let her go.
Keeping her alive any longer is unfair to her.
She's suffering.
She's been my husband's much-loved pet for many years.
Longer than I've been his wife, in fact.
This will be hard on our family.
Saying good-bye.
Knowing she won't be here to wag her tail when we get home.
But knowing she'll be free of pain is of some comfort.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Suz....I'm so sorry to hear that...but you're doing what is best for HER....

HUGS to you, and the kids...and Greg.

Andrea said...

Though I have never personally been close to a pet, my daughter has a momma cat she raised from 4 weeks old which means the absolute world to her, so my heart goes out to you and your family. My prayers are with you.

pw said...

Sorry to hear your family has to go through the loss of your pet, a member of your family.

Sue said...

I can feel your pain. Just know that you really are doing the best for her and that she will always be in your thoughts. Hugs to you and your family :(

MelissaR said...

I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this. We had a similar experience with our dog; she was mine before I met my husband, but he was attached to her as well. It's hard to say goodbye, but it's worse to see a beloved pet in so much pain. I'm praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm truly sorry to hear about your dog! You know you're doing the right thing, but I can't believe that it makes it any easier to do. I hope your sorrow eases quickly. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

JB