Wednesday, August 15, 2007

US Holocaust Museum

Today Greg and I visited the United States Holocaust Museum. I have wanted to visit since we've lived here, but we never had a baby-sitter long enough. So today, when we had 8 hours of sitter, we went to DC.

I cannot express in words how moving the exhiits are. Nor can I show you pictures. They don't allow photography in the exhibits. I think that's the way it should be. You should experience it for yourself.

It's horrendous what was done to the Jewish people. And to the world as a whole.
It's a horror. And I am glad that we will never forget. No one should forget. Ever.

I did take a few pictures, in areas where it was permissible. Nothing comes close to showing you the raw emotion, the tenderness, the horror against humanity, the unbreakable spirit, the depth of the Holocaust.

I felt honored just to stand before the photographs on the wall. I felt like I was going to burst into tears the whole time I was there. I looked upon those faces, silenced forever.

If you come to DC, do NOT skip the Holocaust Museum. It's something you should experience.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with your sentiments more. The holocaust museum was moving, humbling, and sad. It is definitely something everyone should see when visiting the D.C. area. There is even a great childrens section that helps to explain the atrocities and living conditions in a way that their minds are capable of comprehending.

God bless you and have a great day!

JB