Sunday, September 30, 2007

essence

You know what I like best about photography?
Trying to capture someone's personality, their secret side, their essence...
I KNOW that sounds corny but it's true.
WHen you do what I do, you have to think on your feet.
I have about 5 minutes to make someone feel comfortable and prep them to have a lens stuck in their face. Not always so easy. That's why I don't like to pose subjects. I like to allow the moment to happen naturally.



I hate having my own picture taken so I can easily identify with people who are reluctant. For this reason alone, I prefer to work with kids.

Kids don't say "Do I look fat?" or "Get my good side."
Kids don't worry abour their hair.
Kids do not mind if their clothes dont' match.
It's the adults that have those hang-ups...

Well, today I am assisting/co-shooting a session: Of a fellow Harley rider. He's gristled, tough and his bike is a work of art. I'll be doing his pictures while my husband shoots his bike. Did I mention that my husband is starting a separate but shared resource: motor photography. He enjoys photography so much and the bike thing is a natural for him. So that's how Open Road Photography was born. I'll tell you more about that as time goes on. It's his baby.

Tonight, I'll share some of the biker pictures I take today. It'll be interesting trying to capture this guy's essence. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't much of you, but it was enough to capture your essence. Love the smile, love the picture! I hope you are doing well! I definitely know that you know what you are doing when it comes to taking pictures!

JB