Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Buy Nothing Day




You have to go to the website to get a real feel for what this organization is about. I couldn't read all of it, but I am pretty sure it's mostly aimed towards young, hip greenie types. Which I am neither hip nor am I what you could consider an environmentalist.

In my personal situation, I am not participating in the crazed after TG shopping events for mostly one reason: I don't want any more debt. I don't want to spend more than I NEED TO. My children don't NEED expensive toys that will litter their bedroom floors and choke their toy boxes. Toys that they will forget within a few days, moving on to wanting the NEXT THING....This year, as a family, we've decided to simplify. That means less. Of everything. We had planned on volunteering at the USO but that won't work out so we're looking into other options. I just want to take a break from the insanity of my own selfish consumerism. It weighs on you and it's been weighing on me for about 2-3 years very heavily.....since we moved back to the Lower 48. Life was simpler and had less temptations in Alaska. There was no shopping mall, they had just gotten Wal-Mart, and I wasn't bombarded by the STUFF that is constant here in NoVa.

On some level, I can agree with what that organization is doing: asking us to consume less. Sometimes more is just more. When Adam and I go through Target, he gets the "gimmes" and I tell him "If I bought you every toy, where would you put them all?" The other day, I spent a few HOURS helping them clean their rooms and I think THAT had a bigger impact on all of us than any ad campaign.....

so for me, for my kiddos, we'll be aiming for something simple. Something meaningful.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I don't usually do the Black Friday shopping thing either...it's too crazy. The only way I'd do it is if the ONE big present I want to get for the kids would be on sale...and as yet, I have NOT seen it, except for at FYE (which is really not a sale price...but a $30 rebate instead). And since FYE is an hour away, there's no way I'm heading out there just for that.

FXSmom said...

this is easy for me to do...because I have to work a 9 hour day :(. I don't usually anyway because I know their shifty eyes are just hiding the ploy behind their "marked" down prices.

rennratt said...

I dislike shopping at any cost, especially at Christmas.

I realized (last year, I think) that I began hating CHRISTMAS because of the stress, expense and shopping. I was horrified. As a result, I stepped back, looked at my husband and 'quit'.

I buy small things throughout the year now. To date, I have spent 1/4 to 1/2 of what I have in the past.