Thursday, November 29, 2007

homemade or not?


I have a dilemma...

I would like to buy nice gifts for each of Micaela's and Adam's and Jonathan's teachers....but I cannot afford that. How tacky would it be to MAKE their gifts?

I know teachers get a lot of junk with apples on it. I am not talking about that...

I am talking about a basket filled with sugar scrub, a bath scrunchy, a delicate pretty cup with some hot tea mix or cocoa...Maybe throw in a scratch off Lottery thingie....is that tacky?

I have this killer macho recipe that is called "Soft as a Baby's Butt Sugar Scrub". Got it from one of the frugal sites that I haunt. It is AWESOME...and cost pennies to make...

I just want to know if it's tacky to MAKE their gifts.

I would buy them the world if I could.

How do you give a gift to these women who are ANGELS?

So in the comments, let me know what you think of gift baskets with homemade goodies.

:)

10 comments:

Linda said...

All of the folks I know who are teachers say they appreciate the home made gifts so much more than store-bought magnets and coffee cups. I'd rather stamp some note cards, make a covered list pad, or SOMETHING instead of buying a gift.

That's what I'm doing for Hannah's student teacher. Making a bundle of 10 notecards that she can use. Homemade is better than storebought any day.

And I would LOVE the recipe for that scrub, too!!!

Sue said...

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with wonderful handmade gifts. PLUS it is a GIFT -- whatever you choose to give should be appreciated since it is NOT a requirement to give any gift. But personally, I would love to receive one of your baskets :) (HINT, HINT) LOL

Scott B. said...

My opinion... scrap them something that is personalized for them. You have a talent. If I were a teacher and received something like that from you, I'd consider it much more valuable than a purchased gift.

MomtoManyBlessings said...

Both parents are teachers. We used to get cookie overload this time of year but loved the special gifts.....how many ornaments can one have? well lots at my house.

We liked the gifts that gave a personal touch, esp that were shower type stuff......so much of the stuff repeats.....and my mom got so little time for herself anyway, that made a nice gift.

SUe

Anonymous said...

I think that they should consider themselves lucky to get anything at all. The fact that you would actually utilized your personal time and talents to "make" a gift for them should make it all that much more special to them.

JB

FXSmom said...

Not tacky at all!! My mother is a teacher and she would drool all over that!

rennratt said...

Just chiming in to note "not tacky".

My daughter is in 1st grade, and I have been at a loss regarding teacher gifts.

Would you please consider posting the recipe for the scrub?

I would love to make it for both the lead teacher and the TA!

Anonymous said...

I'm a teacher and always love the personal stuff, especially if the student was involved in putting it together/making it.

Oma

Peggy said...

Tacky? Are you serious?? Home made gifts are the BEST!! Anyone can go to a store and purchase something, but a home made gift takes thought and time. Whenever I receive a home made gift, I feel really special:)

bethtrue said...

i agree with what all the posters have said so far - i think its great and as far as value - i would think its a more valuable gift than if you were to simply go to the store and buy something. you put thought and effort and your valuable time into making something. p.s. ditto on the request for posting your sugar scrub recipe!! :-)