Wednesday, November 21, 2007

stupid things that people do



I almost named this post "Pissing off PETA" but that doesn't earn me any "Family Friendly" points, you know? I try not to blog when I am angry, but I can't stop myself tonight....

I went to my local market (which I won't name) and a girl that works there was commenting on the 2-headed cat that was born in Arizona. She asked me what I thought about it, and I said (honestly) "it creeps me out..." She looked as if I'd slapped her. She knows my name, so she says, "Suzanne, I am surprised at that answer and ashamed of you. You have a retarded child. You shouldn't be so judgemental...."
Well................I calmly looked at her and said, "I think there is a HUGE difference between a two-faced cat and my mentally retarded 19 year son." She couldn't even articulate at this point, she just grunted at me.
Then she started crying......Apparently, she's a vegetarian and it pains her to ring up peoples food, knowing how many animals die to feed us "stupid, bloated, fat, senseless humans"....and how they didn't ask to be born to be someone's dinner.....and how they get mistreated by medical research....
Now it was MY turn to surprised and ashamed. I had to get the heck out of there before she started in on global warming.
But seriously, I do believe in animal testing. If it saves a human life, then I am good with it. I don't think that companies should be reckless with their research but I am of the opinion that they are just animals. They are not HUMAN. I know I risk getting PETA to start stalking me, sending me hate mail and such, but it's how I feel.
What can I say? I am just a "stupid, bloated, senseless human".
I am sooooooo gonna enjoy my Turkey tomorrow.
<<<<>>>>>

2 comments:

rennratt said...

That picture is really creepy, but mostly it makes me sad.

Do people expect a 'quality of life' in this poor creature? Is it a deformity or a result of 'genetic manipulation'?

I haven't read the article, so I really don't know.

Kristiem10 said...

I agree with you on the animal testing thing. I guess I never had an opinion on it until I had a child who could possibly benefit from it one day. I am thankful they do testing on animals. I am not cruel to animals by any means, but I believe they have their rightful place in the world. I am a Christian, and I belive in Genesis where God gives man dominion over animals. Now I will be on PETA's hit list. Oh, and I can't wait for my turkey today, either.