Wednesday, December 05, 2007

creating space out of NOWHERE

Remember a few weeks ago, when I was bemoaning the lack of work space I had. Trying to run a business out of the corner of my master bedroom in my teeny tiny house was ANNOYING the daylights out of me.

When I did it: I created space outta NOWHERE!!! And for almost no money...

Here's how I did it:

I am a member of my local county Freecycle. If you don't know what that is, FIND OUT and involve yourself in one in your area. It's an online resource where you post things on a bulletin board, people come and collect them. You de-clutter and someone else takes it away. Win-win....

Well, I posted several weeks ago that I desperately needed one 6' table and 2-2 drawer filing cabinets....I was patient and was rewarded with a brand new to me table and 2 file cabinets. By this point though, I had spent $25 on a small 2 drawer cabinet (the black one in the middle)....

Greg was instrumental in this plan. He removed the table legs and screwed the surface of my table directly to the file cabinets with now served as "legs". It's actually MUCH sturdier this way. I have a HUGE work surface, tons of filing room and it was all FREE. (except for the $25 I spent on the file cabinet in the middle).....

So I did it.....almost for free. Now I just have to create another ROOM.....

:-)

(Pardon the mess on my desk, I should have CLEANED it before its Kodak moment......Especially my bulletin board, it's always a nightmare though....)

4 comments:

Linda said...

looks fine to me! Good workspace. I love my Freecycle® (guess being a moderator for mine helps, lol). I just got 2 big boxes of "stuff". Included were 2 shower curtains and some gorgeous hooks for the curtains. I took the patriotic hooks (flags and stars) and the pretty blue (solid AND fabric) curtain and covered my "not so pretty" shelving unit in the corner, so now my craft area looks a LITTLE neater!

Kristiem10 said...

That is awesome! So creative. I am a member of Freecycle in my area, too.

Anonymous said...

That is really cool Suzanne! It even looks cool. Maybe you should patent the idea. You did an awesome job!

JB

Sue said...

Hi Suzanne,
Another Fragile X Mom here. Your desk untidy? - not compared to mine :-)

I notice you have a link to the Fragile X Australia site. Thank you. This site has now moved to http://www.fragilexonline.com though.