Monday, April 21, 2008

a day like no other

A story that Shannon over at Rocks In My Dryer inspired me to share this. (She had a harrowing experience of having her purse stolen and then an Angel came to her rescue....)

This is the story of an angel in my life.

It was Mother's Day 2006. Greg was TDY in Hawaii for TWO WEEKS. It was the last day of his TDY and I will admit to not being in the most patient of moods. The kids and I were at Wegman's. I was feeling a little left out and petulant, feeling sorry for myself because my Mother's Day was not the Spoil-Fest it should have been. (I was sooooo selfish.)

The kids were doing their best to irritate the living daylights out of me. Asking for everything and anything in the store. I was just pushing the cart, trying to get in and out. If you've never been in a Wegmans, it's a feast for the senses. Literally. It's not a quick in-and-out type store. And all the while, Jonathan was being very surly. Lots of attitude.

We were on the cereal aisle, winding down our shopping trip. Kids were still begging for candy and such. Jonathan popped off to me with some rude comment, to which I turned to him and tapped him on the lips and suggested that he mind his manners.

What happened next happened so quickly that it's a blur. I should also interject at this point that Jonathan is bigger than me. Taller and heavier, and stronger. What he lacks is the intent to cause harm. Well, the sensory overload of the Feast for your Senses Wegmans and his mom touching his face was more than Jonathan could handle. He grabbed my hair and hit me...HARD. As I whirled around, dazed and determined to nip this in the bid, he ripped off the entire front of my cotton shirt.

So here I am, virtually half-naked, holding him off while he's landing punch after punch, trying to protect the other two kids....God's grace and mercy were with me. Complete strangers came to my aid and watched the two younger kids while I talked Jonathan down from the worst meltdown in his entire life. A store manager brought me a shirt to cover up with. It was my worst nightmare: I am half-naked, with my child in pain and in distress, strangers looking at my most private moments, judging me, thanking God they're not me. It was A LOT to handle.

The situation went on so long that the Manager felt like he needed to call the Police. I told him if he did, it would worsen the situation and if he could just get people to disperse, it would help. Ten minutes later, it was all over. I was literally battered and bleeding. And shaking.

A lady who I don't know helped me push my cart, still full of groceries I had not paid for, out to my car, where I loaded kids in. And then I just lost it. This lady, an angel, held me while I cried. I was so scared and I felt completely alone. I never even asked her name. I just cried.

So to that lady, you were my angel and I have never forgotten you. On what was one of the worst days of my life, you were there for me. Thank you. That day serves as a brutally fresh and memorable to me that we all need an angel sometimes.

As I share this with you, I want you to know that I don't share it for pity points. I just want you all to know that my life isn't always sunny. Life with fragile x is always an adventure. Thank God for angels...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing that with us.

FXSmom said...

God did send you a few angels that day

Anonymous said...

One angel that helped me was a 7 foot tall phone company employee. I pray one day I can help God by being someone's angel without even realizing it.