Saturday, April 26, 2008

what is a family?

Dictionary.com defines family like this:

1. parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not.
2. the children of one person or one couple collectively.
3. the spouse and children of one person: We're taking the family on vacation next week.

In my job, I get to witness LOTS of families. How they love, how they work as a team (Greg and I are constantly referring to our own family as The Ultimate Team..) and how they laugh together.

Here's how I define family:

1. It's where they know you and love you anyway.
2. It's where you feel safest.
3. It's where you can be silly. In fact, it's expected....
4. It's where you belong.

Family matters A LOT to me. My own and the families that I serve. When people ask what I do and I get to tell them about my photography business, I say how much I enjoy being the one of captures the memories, the stories, the smiles, the sense of FAMILY. It's a blessing from God, it surely is. I am SO lucky that I get to do what I love. I am blessed that I came from a house where pictures mattered. The stories they told. The memories they invoked. I have my Mom to thank for that. I guess I am feeling all sappy and emotional because it's almost Mother's Day and I am working on her gift (don't peek!!)

How do YOU define family? I've included a few of my personal favorite Family Pictures.
This is my mom and I. We were being silly in her garden. She didn't want to take the picture but I wore her down. We were laughing and cutting up. I remember it like it was yesterday. This is one of the treasured pictures that is on my Family Wall in my dining room.


I love this picture of Greg and Micaela. I so wish I had the hi-res file...I know Micaela will treasure this when she's my age. I would give any amount of money to have a picture like this with my own dad.
This is the handiwork of Adam Picasso Balvanz. He will never live this down. He's gonna be college-aged, some girl's gonna Google his name and this entry will pop up and he'll once again wish that cameras were never invented. Oh, the joy of being a photographer's kid is topped only by being a scrapbooker's kid. God help if you if your mom is BOTH!! hehehehe.....
I share this with you to emphasize a point: don't wait for perfection. Don't let the moments slip by, forgotten. Document your life. Take LOTS of pictures....(or hire me!!) Pictures, memories and stories...they all matter. What will yours say? (mine say hide the lipstick better....)
I leave you with my favorite photo-related quote:
"An unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates
Have a blessed day!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was, I don't know, maybe 9 or 10, I gave my parents a speech about why having a camera of my own was the most important thing in the world. (It didn't hurt that Kodak had a slogan at the time about saving the memories of your life.) We went to KMart and I got my first camera. Very, very big deal. I even have the photo of me with my new camera (taken at the store!) that I still look at from time to time! I know of what you speak!