Thursday, May 22, 2008

books


Oh how I love to read.
It's in the Top 3 of Things I love to do.
Maybe even the Top 2.
I was VERY shy as a kids (fragile x female, anyone???) so I lost myself in books. It didn't hurt than my mother could be found buried in a book almost constantly. At least when she was schlepping around taking care of 5 trouble-free (not!) kids.... In a book, I didn't have to make eye contact, look at anyone, carry on a conversation....it was completely non-threatening. Plus I had a wicked vocabularly. (My dad was a major Reader's Digest type guy. he used to save me the Word Power pages, I still have the last stack he saved for me.....)

I love books.

Recently on the the plane, I read : Change of Heart: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (*****)...If I ever meet her, I will hug her. I love her books. It's like crack (or what I think crack would be like...highly addictive and can't think of anything else while you're in it...) That book is just as good as her other works. The Pact: A Love Story is my favorite, closely followed by Plain Truth . She's an amazing writer.
I am presently reading: The Shack by William P. Young. It's so lush, I feel like it's happening. (almost certainly a 5 star rating)

I am eagerly (as in salivating) the arrival of: The Last Patriot: A Thriller by Brad Thor. I would read ANYTHING that Brad Thor writes. He could write the phone book and I would line up to read it.
I am a little (okay, A LOT) compulsive. If it makes the Bestseller List, I almost HAVE TO read it. I follow the Lists so faithfully, I have usually read it before it hits the Bestseller Lists. I can usually tell by reading a synopsis if I really want to commit to reading it. (I skipped Barack Obama's books though.....) I love going to the library. They know me there (and like me anyway!)
My mom used to tell me, "Suzie, (because that's what she calls me) readers are leaders." Although I am not a Leader, unless you count the fact that I am in charge of Nose-Wiping, War-Settling and Clean Room Torturing, but I am most definitely a Reader. Thanks, Mom, for making me a lover of books. It's a lifetime gift.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I love Jodi Piccoult too...thanks to my sister who sent me one of her books once...I got hooked. Her books make me ANGRY, sad, and happy...and make me want to throw them across the room in frustration...only to go back, pick them up and finish them eagerly.

I'll have to check out the other books you mentioned. Jodi's books are hard to come by in my library, lol. I'm going to have to find The Shak and anything by Brad Thor.

Tracye said...

Okay. You got me.

I found you at Rocks in my Dryer.

Puleeeeeze, can I have your bread dough recipe?

My fam thinks bread is a rare commodity, apparently.

There have been fork wars at the dinner table over the last roll.

trboyd@suddenlink.net

Kristiem10 said...

I am an avid reader, too. I always have been. In school I'd blow through the required reading lists in no time, and the teacher would have to think up other books for me to read.

I have never read Jodi Piccoult. So you're saying I should, eh? ;)

Ali said...

Hey,
I just stopped in and I'm glad I did. I LOVE to read. In fact, I teach my children to read very early so that they can get started. My son is notorious for going in to get jammies on and ending up reading in his undies!!! I look forward to learning more about you and your beautiful family, and thank you for stopping by for a cup of cold water. I'll be back. :)

FXSmom said...

I thought I loved books!! That is awesome that you are such a voracious (sp?) reader. I do all that too but I don't follow the bestseller list and never heard of Ms. Piccoult. Heading to the library page now!!

Laurie said...

Hello! I saw your comment on your bread recipe at Rocks In My Dryer. . .would love to have it.

I read "The Shack," too, and bought a dozen copies to share with friends and family. Isn't that a great book? My Bible Study group spent several weeks discussing it.

Nice to meet you! I love books, too!

Mary Beth - FX mom said...

I am addicted to Jodi Picoult novels! She's one of those authors who writes books I can barely put down once I begin. Haven't yet read the latest as it's a hot commodity at our library, but I'm sure I will soon!