Wednesday, May 14, 2008

irritating libs


Got into a "discussion" with a Liberal the other day.....now, don't you go sending me Hate Mail about my position on Issues.

Here's how it went down: Guy in front of my local grocery store, passing out pamphlets about how we can all save the Planet. I stopped only because he blocked my way. You see, I had my two kids with me. And he had the NERVE enough to tell me that having more than one child is a selfish endeavor. I told him to step aside or he would regret it. (I wasn't thinking violence, only abject humiliation...) He raised his voice, shoved his pamphlets in my face and started ramping up. (You have to remember: I live with Fragile X Syndrome. I am not afraid of confrontation.)

So I let him have it.......

I parked my cart and started in on him, asking if he was a Vegan. Did he drive a car? Were his precious pamphlets printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper with vegetable based ink? Did he walk to work, or ride a caribou? Did he eat meat? Did he use the oh-my-dreaded disposable water bottles? Then I started rattling off a LONG list list of products made from EVIL OIL. A partial list of products made from petroleum has a list of 144 of the 6,000 known items.

Needless to say, he was unaccustomed to being challenged. He was young and passionate about what he thinks he knows. But as young people can be, he was impulsive and had NO IDEA that oil/petroleum makes so much in our daily lives.....He ended up apologizing for his comment about having kids is selfish.
I am NOT uncaring about the environment.
I am not an Earth hater, as one nasty commenter said.
I do not believe in the whole of the Global Warming Debate. There IS a lot that we can do to be more protective of our resources, both human and natural.

2 comments:

abrightfuture said...

I am clearly WAY behind in my reader, but I couldn't let this pass without a comment. It sounds like this guy was way out of line and clearly not informed enough to be spreading his beliefs.

But...

Calling this guy a liberal is like calling those people from Westboro Baptist Church (who tout the "Thank God for Dead Miners", "Thank God for 9/11", "God Hates Fags" signs) Christians.

He may have liberal leanings, but doesn't represent those of us who consider ourselves liberal (and Christian!).

On an unrelated note, I'll be sending you an email about getting some pics done. :-)

SB said...

I need to meet you then because a HUGE percentage of the libs I meet (in and around the DC area) are NOT liberal and Christian.

Those Westboro Baptist haters make my blood boil.

But you're right: I should not be so quick to lump people. My name calling is no better than his name calling. Point taken.