Monday, May 26, 2008

kids in the kitchen

You Moms know what I am talking about when I say it's challenging when you have kids in the kitchen. YOU WANT them to help, but they get under foot, it's true.


I am doing my best to teach Micaela and Adam how to cook.
Adam regards it as a Science project.
Micaela views it as an opportunity to practice being the Wife she knows she'll be someday.


Jonathan is a whole 'nother story: For his own safety and my sanity, I wimped out. I didn't teach him how to cook as a small kiddo. He knows how to spread peanut butter. Pop his own popcorn. But I have not done as good a job with him. It's like having a 4 year old in the kitchen again. But with facial hair, this time.


Well today, we tried something different. I saw this recipe CrockPot Apple Dumpling Recipe on one of my "fave blogs to read", A Year of CrockPotting , she's gluten-free AND she rocks the crock-pot. I knew that Jonathan could handle this recipe.....I did have to go and buy the Mountain Dew specifically for this recipe. Jonathan was REALLY happy with that ingredient!









He asked me, afterwards, "do I get an apron now?"

I'll give you my honest review of the apple dumplings after dinner. Everyone is excited that Jonathan helped out. It is worth it solely for that. And I bet it tastes good, too. God knows my house smells scrumptious now.....

ETA: Jonathan wouldn't eat his own cooking. He said "they're too fancy"....go figure.

This left Greg to be the Taste Tester, a job he loves. I scooped some out and he let it cool. The kids were hovering, trying to steal the accompanying vanilla ice cream. He said they were GREAT, good enough to serve to company. Maybe Jonathan was right: they're too fancy! So at Casa Balvanz, we give it a HIGH RATING, for taste, ease, and prep.

3 comments:

rennratt said...

Crock pot cooking is an excellent - and safe - idea for all of your kids!

Great idea, mom!

I know that crock pot apples are delicious, but have never tried gluten free.

How did they turn out?

Linda said...

I'm going to go check out that crockpot site...those dumplings look YUMMY!

Crockpot Lady said...

yay, Suzanne! I'm glad they came out okay! I always worry that it's just a "fluke" when things turn out okay.
xoxo
steph