Monday, June 02, 2008

for the love of Aldi



Let me first say that I had no clue about Aldi until Linda clued me in. (thanks Linda!)
I visited my first Aldi about 6 months ago, and have been back at least once a month since.

Do you know about ALDI - Home page ?
You should..It's groceries for cheap! It's no frills, no fancy glistening end-caps, no giant cardboard displays. Just groceries. I don't know about you, but I don't eat the displays. I read an article somewhere about how much advertising adds to our grocery bottom line and it freaked me out. I constantly lecture my kids about falling for marketing. I am guilty of it, too.

Aldi sets me straight and keeps me cheap.
I was bragging on Aldi to a family recently, spelling out the real savings on, of all things, chocolate chips. (Nestle $2.49 per bag, Aldi $0.99 per bag, no difference in taste...)

I was combing through my trusty recipe binder and since I am home alone, I am trying to make ONE meal to last me all week (potato soup and Outback bread is my winner) but the Outback bread requires instant coffee. Since I am a non-coffee gal (gasp, I know....) this poses a problem. I checked out at the local store how much instant coffee costs. Holy Crack-a-mole', that stuff went up in price since I bought the last jar of it, like 2 years ago.....One measly dinky dog jar costs $8.39. Almost NINE BUCKS for instant??? That's crazy. (and makes me insanely glad that I am a non-coffee gal)


You wanna guess how much it was at Aldi?
*
*
*
*
$2.39 and it's a BIGGER jar. My bread doesn't know it's cheap. Even if it did, it wouldn't care.

If you have an Aldi near you, be glad.
You can even explore a fellow blogger's site which is GREAT for Aldi shoppers.


Now that I've gone on and on and on about Aldi, let me also say this. With no frills, you do give up stuff. Like choice. You get ONE of each item, not 40. You get one choice in size usually. There are certain products I won't go cheap on (my KAF bread flour, Birdseye frozen corn, Neutrogena Bath Oil and a few other things.....) but for the most part, I love cheap. I'd rather have $$ in my pocket than a pretty package. Shopping at Aldi also allows me to buy for our church Food Bank.

Also, it's important to note here that MY mom shopped the generic aisle when I was a wee kiddo. That apple didn't fall far from the tree...

2 comments:

Linda said...

Glad I got you addicted...I'm good at things like that, lol! Can't beat the German Roasted Coffee there for only $3.99 for the brick...even the commissary can't match that with their Americanized German coffee...

I never think to go there for all the stuff I REALLY need, though...I SHOULD.

Jen said...

We have an Aldi store here in our town. I go there often, but probably not as much as I should. Like you said, you can't get everything there, so that means I have to go to one or two more stores. Sometimes, I'm in too much of a hurry. ):
I noticed in you profile "Fife and Drum Corp;" I played the fife for a few years in the Chester Fife and Drum Corp (Connecticut). Did or do you play?