Wednesday, July 30, 2008

the Agenda (aka my Lifesaver....)



Some of you that pop on here know all about Jonathan.
He's 20 now (yikes, he's old....) and he has fragile x. He's moderately mentally retarded and autistic. Makes daily living an adventure around here...

As the parent of a young adult with FX, I am constantly looking for ways to help him cope with the world...A few years ago, we made THE AGENDA on a fluke and IT SAVED ME...

Like many kids with FX, Jonathan has a tough time with transitions. He needs to know what to expect. He gets nervous if he doesn't know what's coming. So the Agenda gives him all of that info. I recently shared The Agenda with a FX friend who is moving and I thought "Hey, I'll share it on my blog"....



When we go places that are unfamiliar or new --or scary, like the doctor--, I go on their webiste and download a picture of two and put it on the Agenda and it helps Jon so much. He feels much calmer with that single piece of paper in his hands....I use various stock photo and free clip art sites to help me. It's free, simple and SO valuable for kids with transition difficulties.

1 comment:

menhalls said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing.