Monday, July 07, 2008

groceries

If you eat food, you need to read this:


It's about how companies are "shorting" you in the products you buy every day. I remember, way back when I was a kid, and my mom discovered that the 5# bag of Imperial Sugar was only 4#. She was so upset. I'd never seen her that upset about sugar.

Well, it's happening all over again. To me, it's another reason to buy generics. Like at Aldi. They don't pay the massive overhead on ads that most brands do. I like to pay for the actual food, not the packaging.

The key to fighting this is to PAY ATTENTION. Manufacturers are counting on you being distracted, busy, talking on your cell phone in the grocery aisles (I hate that, major pet peeve).....meanwhile, they're dipping further into your wallet. Don't let 'em.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Makes me angry, too. I like Aldi not only for their cheap generics but for their lack of choices. If I want flour, I know that it will cost a certain amount. Take it or leave it. The options are cut out and shopping takes less than 30 minutes.

Kristiem10 said...

I have noticed the shrinking products, too. They keep the packaging the same size, but put less in. And keep the price the same. I am a huge Aldi fan as well. Way more for your money, and quality products. And like Tracey said, much quicker.

FXSmom said...

I noticed it too. I don't go so much by price if I can get away with it. I always look at the little number in the corner to see how much I'm paying per ounce. That determines which size I'll buy. Many times I notice in the cereal aisle that if I buy two small boxes of cereal instead of the big box I'm saving more money.

Suzanne said...

I don't know if you've had Capt'n Crunch peanut butter lately, but I could all but swear their is hardly a trace of peanut butter in it! I've been saying that for about 1 1/2 yrs. now! Hmm....yeah..I've noticed the 4lb. bags of sugar too. I'm with you..let's get our military garb on and stay with Aldi's whenever possible! Good tip.