Sunday, July 27, 2008

movie review and a Mom Date

I got more e-mail asking me "What is a Mom Date??" No, I am not DATING. I am married, happily at that. It's where I, the Mom, spend time with one kiddo and we do something fun. In this case, it was Jonathan on the Mom Date. We went to the movies..



We saw "The Dark Knight", which is the latest Batman movie.



Unless you live in a cave, it is busting most Hollywood records by earning $300 Bazillion in 10 days. I very rarely go the actual theather. It's a time issue and a cheap issue. Have you SEEN how much movies cost? In our area, they range from $8.75 tp $12.00. For a family of 5, that $60.00 before you even hit the $50.00 worth of snacks. (I smuggle mine in, I'll admit it! The key is not being greedy and smuggle in SMALL snacks. Sweetarts, Skittles and Fruit-Roll Ups are prime for small purses...) We did catch a matinee so it was slightly cheaper. Then a stroke of goodness, the girl working the counter had worke with Jonathan as a volunteer at his old school and have him FREE popcorn and drink (savings $12.00). I swore I wasn't going to rant on how freaking expensive are but MAN OH MAN, it's OUTRAGEOUS. The logical arguement would be just don't go to the movies. Well, ordinarily I don't. I stay home. Last night, Jonathan picked the activity....and I gave in.

Now, back to the Movie Review:
Bottomline up front: Solid B+

Some of you might be gasping....why only a B+? I'll tell you why. And I'll try to do it without giving anything away. I think Batman Begins was a better Overall movie. I think that the movie was too long (2 1/2 hours).
Here's the High Points:
-VERY violent. Almost gratuitiously so.
-the CGI looks real.
-Heath Ledger was phenomanally frightening good.



-I would LOVE to have the Batman car....seriously.



-it's the classic tale of good vs evil.

Was it worth the almost $20? Yeah, I guess. I still think that Batman Begins was better.

ETA: I forgot to mention that Christian Bale is worth whatever they paid him. He IS Batman. Totally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment. It was good, but not worth an "A" category ranking. Hopefully, your son enjoyed it!

JB

Heather said...

I can't wait to see the movie. If my husband and I ever get a date night before it goes to video, we are going to go see it.