Friday, July 18, 2008

it's soooo Friday

I got nothin'. Nothin' funny, witty, important.
NUTTIN. Zip, zilch, none, nada. I am tapped out.
I just want to lie in bed and pull the covers over me and nap, and snack.
Wouldn't that be NICE?

Well, back to reality...
I went thrift shopping with my kidlets today.
I have shopped out the local store and needed to expand my search, so we went OUT and hit the MotherLoad of back to school bargains! Both kids got about 12-15 tops and I spent $20.00. Then we hit one semi-local store where all of the kids' books were half off. Since they sell books for a DIME each, it's a bargain to begin with. But I bought 18 books anyhow. And spent $0.60. The kids were THRILLED with my choices:



Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman by Dav Pilkey (Paperback - Aug 20, 2001)
and
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald and Peter H. Reynolds

Now let's just pretend for a moment that I bought them NEW on Amazon, which is RARE for me to buy a book BRAND NEW. But these books are a combined value of $15.86. And I spent one thin dime. Plus I spent my money at The Resourceful Woman, Loudoun Abused Women's Shelter benefits from my shopping. I survived tremendous abuse in my first marriage and spent time with women like myself, who got away and started over. So shopping there and helping those women is important to me.


Adam SQUEALED with delight at reading of the adventures of Captain Underpants. You can learn more here: Scholastic.comCaptain Underpants . I have no worries about his reading. He loves reading. And combine that with the sillness of Captain Underpants and it's a hit! As a parent, I think it's very cool that the book is based on a super hero that Dav Pilkey invented way back in 1973 when he was a second grader. I make up stories, too...Who knows? Maybe I'll publish them and make a zillion dollars!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Man, I wish we had shops like that here! We have thrift stores, but definitely not a place where we can get a wardrobe for $20. That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

My oldest son LOVED Captain Underpants! And his dad (not a big reader at all) LOVED reading them to him as bedtime stories. It was great to hear them both laughing. My husband said he would have read more when he was a child had books been more fun like Captain Underpants. What a great find you had!

FXSmom said...

My baby girl loves Judy Moody!!!

kristenkj said...

Okay, I might have to get the captain underpants for my William. He is 6 1/2, and just from the title I think he would LOVE it. I've never been in the thrift shop...I should go. It is right around the corner from me.

rennratt said...

Do your local libraries hold book sales?

Those are a great place to pick up random books for kids and adults. Especially when both the kid(s) and adult(s) are book fanatics!

Nooze and I attended a book sale in Maine last summer - and I brought home approximately 10-15 books for the two of us. Total cost? Less than $10.

All of the books were 'chapter' books, too!