Wednesday, July 09, 2008

kitchen learnin'

I am combining Math today with Kitchen Science.

It's a busy day. It's National Sugar Cookie Day, for one. Which means I have to uncover THE best recipe for sugar cookies and incorporate into our Math lesson. Because cooking and baking involves A LOT of math (fractions, order, etc.....) I'm using THIS recipe: Icebox Sugar Cookies and will soften the butter while I am off at Wal-Mart getting Jonathan's glasses fixed AGAIN.....

Plus I am adding a new category "Word of the Day". We've been doing it sporadically but I am finding my groove so now I have a PLAN!!

Word of the Day: MEASURE (I'm going to have them write the word (10x...to practice on handwriting, a skill even *I* need work on) out after we define it, then we're find a few rhyming words.

Well, this day is starting without me as I sit here blabbering on. I'll post our Cookie Adventure later on today!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Ooooh....I LIKE word of the day! Think I might snag that from you (the whole handwriting practice thing is great, too!)

and I love me some sugar cookies...but I am not EVEN going to go look at that recipe. I'm 10 lbs down and not looking back.

kristenkj said...

Love the word of the day idea. I should do that. I have activities for each day that we work on with Henry. The trick is getting him to do it without knowing it is one of his activities. He is rebelling against activities right now. What can I say, he's four, it's summer, listening is hard for a four year old hearing impaired boy!

Oh, and sugar cookie day? I might have to use this. Kate and I have plans to do something later while the boys have their playdates. She'd love this. :)

SB said...

Hey Linda.....I found your 10#....

You go girl!!

Noah&Maddy's Mom said...

Cool. I can't wait to hear how the cookies turn out. I may have to try them.
Another idea for word study is word building...give them a word (or use your word of the day) and see how many other words they can create with the letters from that word. I do this with one of the words from our weekly spelling list and the kids love it. And make it a contest to see who can come up with the most words!!!

Suzanne said...

Didn't realize it was sugar cookie day, but I DID make some profound blueberry muffins and made some teenage boys real happy for a lil while, anyway...does that count? :)
I just love your photographs...I just have to tell you over and over! :)

Anonymous said...

I sure hope your cookies turned out well! It sounds like your finding lots of creative ways for homeschooling your kids this summer. Good for you!

JB