Thursday, July 17, 2008

my cookbooks

My mom is a compulsive cookbook collector. I should say she's a RECIPE collector, because she has clippings from magazines, newspapers AND books. She used to tell me that I would know I was officially grown-up and OLD when I would willingly sit on the couch and read a cookbook.

Well, I've been old for a few years now....and I went through my compulsive stage, where I would buy a cookbook because of ONE flippin' recipe. Well, those foolish days are behind me. I pared down my cookbooks a year or so ago and Ebay'ed the ones I didn't need. Now my shelf is tidy and I only kept the ones that were TRULY useful. The books that had food splatters on the pages from constant use. The ones with the ever-present bookmarks, marking my favorite tried-and-true recipes.....


So I share them with you, my (small but USEFUL) cookbook shelf:

The Family Baker: 150 Never-Let-You-Down Basic Recipes by Susan G. Purdy (I also own "A Piece of Cake" but allowed someone to borrow it and NEVER got it back....ARGH!)

All-New Blue Ribbon Cookbook by Catherine Hanley (I bought a copy of this for my mom, I wonder if she still has it....) *****


(Let's just say that I LOVE the Fix-it-and-Forget-it Series.....I love my crockpot. Lazy Day Stew is THE best.....)

Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains by Todd Wilbur (I love this one. I made stuff from it and keeps me from eating out..)

Beat This! Cookbook by Ann Hodgman and Beat That! Cookbook by Ann Hodgman (I cannot recommend these two books any higher. They are a RIOT to read and the recipe for watermelon sorbet is yummier than the law should allow.....) *****

The Complete Tightwad Gazette - Paperback (Dec 15, 1998) by Amy Dacyczyn (because I am cheap and proud of it!)

The Bake Sale Cookbook: Quintessential American Desserts by Sally Sampson (Absolutely necessary. Worth every penny!)


The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn and Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn (THE dessert book for me. I make one cake from there probably twice a month...Seriously.) *****

The Fat Flush Cookbook by Ann Louise Gittleman (I know this cookbook CONTRADICTS every book on my shelf but it is GREAT for those on the FF Plan, which Greg and I do from time to time....)

So there you have it. My cookbooks. Not too many. But I use every single one of them. The ones with the 5 stars (*****) are the ones I would take if stranded on a desert island (with an oven, of course!)

Plus my binder. Did I tell you about the binder? It's a binder (started out with a 1" binder but am now in a CRAMMED 3" binder) full of printed recipes from the internet, magazines and newspapers. I guess I wanted to avoid the shoeboxes I know my Mom has all over her house. Plus the binder LIVES on my counter. Right next to the mixer. I'll talk about the Binder on another day, I promise. I might ever share the most awesome recipe for Kolaches. I just might....
-------------
ETA: SOME of these books are available for FREE on PaperBackSwap : Your source for swapping books online! Just a frugal tip.

2 comments:

Noah&Maddy's Mom said...

I love the Cake Doctor and Cupcakes by The Cake Doctor book--I have both . The Cupcake book has the best recipes for Red Velvet Cupcakes and lots of yummy muffin recipes too.
I didn't know that there was a CHOCOLATE Cake Doctor book!! Now I have to add it to my list of books I am going to buy at the end of the summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if my mom has a second family.... you could be explaining her when you talked about your recipe collecting mom! My mom would rather read cookbooks than novels, and she has a room (yes, a whole room) full of cookbooks and recipes cut from magazines or photocopied (how thrilled she was when she got a printer that makes copies -- all for her precious recipes!). Gotta love moms like ours!