Wednesday, July 16, 2008

S&M Barbie


I saw this and I gasped...
why do companies have to over-sexualize what used to be a nice toy for girls?
It pisses me off how slutty little girls items are. Their clothing, their toys.....
I think this is much worse that the Bratz dolls. At least they are honestly slutty. Barbie did NOT have to stoop this low. My daughter LOVES her Barbie. She does. She likes dressing up, putting on shows in her room and reading Barbie books. But I promise you this: I will not be giving Mattel or Barbie any more of my hard-earned money. My daugter's modesty is precious. There will be those of you who chuckle and say, "it's JUST a doll...." It's not. It's the unrelenting bombardment of over-sexualized imagery that our kids have to swim through.
Barbie's slogan is "For every girl. From every world." Well, not my girl.
Black Canary Barbie will be unleashed in September. The back-of-box copy reads:“Black Canary is dressed in her black motorcycle jacket, fishnet stockings, black gloves, and boots. This is truly one hot chick!”
All I can say is NO WAY.

6 comments:

Linda said...

yet another reason why I'm glad my daughter doesn't play with barbies....this is nasty. bratz, barbies...what's next? Sexually explicit stuffed animals?

Sue said...

I was just talking about how funny it was that the Wii uses features from the "little people" we used to play with as kids as avatars when you play -- some games I am sure they do but for he general games and the wii fit they look like little kids doing the exercies :) Even the trainers are "normal" and not overly barbie dollish

kristenkj said...

Yeah, you can bet neither of my girls will get this stuff either. Nor the bratz. Ick.

Anonymous said...

This is disgusting. I was looking at Polly Pockets for a friend and they were dressed like this and I will not buy them. Just disgusting.

FXSmom said...

OMG!! I hadn't seen that yet. Thank goodness my girls are past the Barbie stage but it does make me concerned about my future grandchildren.

rennratt said...

For once, I am thrilled that my daughter gave away all of her Barbie dolls.

Our clothing rules are simple: Ladies do not show their bellies, nor do they show their bottoms.

I don't mind motorcycles/tattoos, but this is TOO MUCH.