Tuesday, September 30, 2008

my ongoing project


Ok, I know that you guys don't stop here for financial news or investment tips. In fact, I get lots of hits for "girls and fragile x" and "cuttlebug" (which I have not used since LAST YEAR, boo hoo).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the tumult of the financial markets and how it impacts my own lil world. We're a single income military family who does not have HUGE resources, so every penny counts in my house. When things started to go bad about 18 months ago, Greg and I stepped up and started paying off debt like crazy (I am soooo glad that we did.) Although we still have some left to pay, it'll be much easier now.

My focus, as the Mom, as the Head Cook and Nutritionist is to make food that everyone likes and will keep us healthy. I've watched the prices of everything climb in the past 12 months, sometimes doubling or tripling, Even though my mom might not think I was paying attention, I am blessed that she imparted her frugal ways on me. You see, she was born in 1935 and she knew what hunger was like. So did my dad, who was born in 1929. They both knew what it was like to do without. Growing up in their house, we always had a full pantry. I mean BURSTING with staples. My dad was afraid that things would go south and we'd be hungry. I carried that lesson with me into MY adulthood and no matter how little money I've ever had, I've ALWAYS had a full pantry. I don't think we, as a society, know what it is like to do without. We jsut whip out another credit card and charge it....

Today is no different. With our financial future uncertain and prices going up and up and up, I started, in earnest, recreating a Food Storage. My house is small (I think it's less than 1100 sq ft) and we have virtually no storage space in our house. But I made some room in the Area formerly known as the Craft Spot. (notice the stamps in the top left corner of the photo...I haven't stamped in FOREVER, I should just give them away....)

To some, I might sound like an alarmist. But it scares me, it really does.
I am glad that I am not heavily reliant on processed everything (although we do use some mixes, I won't lie). I know how to make stuff from scratch. I make my own bread. I use powdered milk. I could live out of a camper or tent if I had to. Now, I'm not talking about being a survivalist. I KNOW someone like that. She's a complete wacko and not fit for society at all. But she and her family probably won't even notice if the stock market crashes.

I just wanted to be prepared. No one ever says, "Oh great!! I was too prepared!" My husband is grateful for my efforts, as I am grateful for the work he does for his family.

9 comments:

Hannah said...

Wow, is that your food storage?? That's AWESOME, I wish I had shelves like those.

I found your blog when I was doing some research on food storage. Your pantry is excellent. Anyway, if you need any more help with your food storage, feel free to check out our blog. It's a step-by-step guide for beginners and non-beginners alike!

Hannah
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

FXSmom said...

I wish I had the $ to get a pantry like that. Our house is tiny too...sounds to be about the size of yours. Our teenagers wipe us out! I try to hit sales as often as I can though so i can stock up on some essentials. I've paid down my debt but my hubby isn't so inclined to do so with 4 credit cards!! I don't have a single one. I think while we talked to the bank on our mortgage for our new town he realized just how important it is to be financially safe. He has had to go through a lot of hassle because of his poor choices.

fragilemom said...

Yep, that's stocking up. I try to keep somewhat extra stocked. I have to do it while my husband's not peeking or he makes fun of me....my mom and dad are BIG stockers too. Jim may not laugh for too long!

Linda said...

I love that your stamp sets are on your "staples" shelf, lol!

You have the space to do this...I sure do wish I did. I am HOPING for a decent sized pantry when we move to SC.....

Berry Patch said...

Very nicely done. I remember having this as a child. We grew up poor but never realized it until I was out on my own & saw how much it cost to eat! We lived on a farm and raised most of our own food or my mom made it. There were lots of canning, cows for milk & meat, chickens for eggs and meant...you get the idea. We're also working on paying down debt. We should be debt-free by next year & then we can start saving to build a house. Yippee!!! It will have a nice big pantry! ;-)

Debra said...

This is so awesome. Ok, you are a girl after my own heart! First, military...my son wants to enlist in 2 years.

Second..the food thing. I'm a born stocker...not stalker...you do get the difference! haha

And to be concerned is not to be an alarmist. You are right..most people don't know what it's like to not have food...but my hubby does..tough life growing up ... his mother is still convinced it's the sixties and the fuzz is after her...oh my stars that is another story!

Nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by! Blessings to you sweet one!

ohhollyf said...

I answered your ? on my blog.
That pantry is impressive !

rennratt said...

Thank you for the inspiration.

I live in a rather small home, with minimal storage and a poorly laid out kitchen. (Only closets are in the bedrooms.)

I am trying to convince my spouse of the NEED to stock up, with minimal success.

Please forgive my pantry envy.

Holly's Mom said...

I am so impressed. My house is about 1100 Square Feet in the upstairs living area. I just got one set of shelves, and now that i will be a stay at home mom, I think i will tackle organizing the kitchen. I would love to have that much food stored away, also now that I am not working and Money will be tight, i will need to buy in bulk, or when things are on sale.

What an Inspiration.