Monday, September 29, 2008

star student


Remember I was talking about Balvanz Academy?
And how well things were going?
I wanted to SHOW you.

This little girl of mine has made SUCH progress in her Reading, in her Math, in her overall academics, I am SOOOO proud of her.
I was not nervous at all about homeschooling Adam. He's as smart as a whip, he just graps things easily and I knew he'd do well. It was Micaela that unnerved me.

With her fragile x, it makes reading and math an adventure in patience. For both of us. But children rise to low expectations and I expect a lot from her. Since I am a carrier myself, I know what it's like to be horribly perplexed by Math so I am more patient with her when the numbers frustrate her.

I get e-mails from Mom who are considering the Homeschool route for their kids with special needs. They ask my advice. I always say the same thing: "Look in your heart and there's the answer." For me, it was clear. I didn't want to send my shy, misunderstood lil girl back into a grade where she was already behind. I want her to be able to feel confident in her abilities, to be able to raise her hand. For her to enjoy and understand her education.

4 comments:

FXSmom said...

I'm glad it's going so well for you! I love her dimples! :)

Berry Patch said...

My hats off to you for following your heart. I've thought many times over the last six years about sending my kiddos off to ps instead of investing this time in to homeschooling. Then I remember WHY I do it & that's all that matters in the end.

Holly's Mom said...

You are amazing, and when the time comes if i decide to homeschool Holly, I will certainly be looking back to your blogs for advice. Your Daughter is so beautiful, I love her ponytails!

Christy said...

It's great that you're hs! Our family has been very blessed in this journey and it's one that is challenging but so rewarding.