Friday, September 05, 2008

we made it to Friday

This was our first FULL week of homeschooling BOTH kids.
Let's just say that I am tired. VERY tired.
But still excited about it.
And very glad that we've chosen this path.
It's the right things for OUR family.
I'd love to show you all sorts of cool pictures of my kids practicing their handwriting, doing math drills and creating fake snot during Science Clas, but I was too into the moment to photograph it.
And that's a good thing.
The kids are still excited, too. (Adam begs to do nothing but Math and Science...)

Today was swimming AND soccer.
Makes for a long day.
On top of that, I am taking Jonathan out on a Mom-date tonight.
He deserves it. He hasn't felt well and he needs some time with me one-on-one.
As a mom, I find that one of the toughest parts of having kids of different ages: finding individual time with each of them.

One of our subjects this year is ART. (Micaela is ECSTATIC, Adam is like "whatever! They don't know but we're going to an actual ART MUSEUM next week for a field trip...) What good is it to live near DC and not go to the Portrait Gallery. I was excited to see that we are studying portraits next week, so I trucked myself to Michael's to buy canvases for the kids to paint their portraits (which I will proudly hang) and look what I scored:


The deal of the day: $0.79
has oil pastels AND 5 canvases.
(I should've bought all of them but I didn't want to be greedy. Some other homeschooling mom might need a bargain...)

I am tired but so grateful that I had the sense to put a meal in the crock-pot (red beans and rice) so at least that's done.

I am so glad that tomorrow is Saturday. No alarm clock.
And I am praying that my husband's poison ivy relents (he has it IN HIS EYES which are just about swollen shut...) I love him enough NOT to put a picture of that on the blog.

Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your home schooling is going well. That's a pretty cool thing your doing, you know.

So you finally made it to the ranks of the "soccer moms". That's good! It's actually a really good sport for the kids, and one where size doesn't really matter all that much.

Get some rest. It sounds like you need it. I hope you are doing well.

JB

rennratt said...

Deals are always awesome.

If you have an AC Moore close by, check them out as well. They tend to carry things even less expensive than Michael's.

Congratulations, and good luck.

Also, please AVOID the Celestial Seasonings Lemon Honey stuff. Definitely go with the Twining's Lemon Ginger. It's in the "Immunity" line, I believe.

Jen said...

I'm happy to hear the home schooling is going well. I come from a family that's big on that---2 sister-in-laws, 1 sister, and 2 nieces are currently involved in being "the teacher"....13 kids altother, plus there are 5 that have graduated from home schooling, and there will be 5 more kids starting the "official" process when they reach that magical age. One of my nieces, Kim, has a link on my page. She's also a military (Air Force) wife.

Holly's Mom said...

That sounds like so much fun! I read an amazing article in Mothering about homeschooling, and it just sounds like it would be amazing, to learn in everything you do, and not be a home, but learn everywhere around town, museum, zoo, ect. Holly is just 6 months, and sadly in the SF Bay Area, we need not just my income but more specifically my great insurance, but I think if I had two kids, I might consider Home Schooling, but then again, I'm not sure if I am up for the challenge either. I certainly admire you!

Bethany said...

I have often considered homeschooling, but haven't had the nerve to try it. Way to go. I don't if I would be able to handle my children as well as the teachers do.