Friday, November 28, 2008

and the madness begins....

Like many families, we've cut WAY back on spending. (truthfully, we weren't spending much to begin with.) But with the Christmas season drawing near, we have made a decision to concentrate more on the MEANING of the season. That goes well with reducing our consumerism, I think. It's hard to grasp but consumerism does NOT equal happiness. There was a time in my life, a spoiled time in my life, that I did think it would make me happy if I had more "stuff".

That's why it makes it that much more unseemly when I read things like this:

"I have never slept here before to save a few bucks, but with the economy so bad I thought that even a few dollars helps," said Analita Garcia of Falls Church, Va., who arrived at a local Best Buy store at 7 a.m. Thursday with 10 family members. She bought a Dynax LCD 32-inch TV for $400, slashed from $500, along with an iPod and several DVDs.
"This year a lot of people I know won't be getting
Christmas presents. I have to pay the rent and bills, and I have two little ones at home to think of," Garcia added. "

In my opinion, these are people with priorities out of whack! That woman should be asking herself if she NEEDS that TV. After all, she has two little ones to think of.....sheesh! And people wonder how they got into trouble? Don't you go thinking, "Oh she's being so judgemental..." I have been there. I have made stupid financial decisions. I speak from what I know. But in recent years, we've made smarter decisions and we're paying off our "stuff". We're doing what we can do to become debt-free. And adding more "stuff" just so the tree doesn't look bare is not in our plans.

I think it's unwise, if you're struggling with bills and the shifting economy, to go out and buy, buy, buy. It's just silly. It's emotional buying. I was going to try a homemade Christmas this year but it didn't work out so I did a bit of shopping. But 99% of the gifts I purchased (I am done shopping) were educational in nature. And there won't be a high quantity of presents.
I love a good deal as much as the next girl but I am looking ahead....who knows what the New Year will bring? I am saving our money for other things. My kids will not suffer because they don't have the newest whatever.
I am excited to embrace the MEANING of the season. We're concentrating on the Christ in Christmas. We're making our own Advent calendar. These memories will be more meaningful than a gift that they will stop playing with in a few weeks.....
But that's just my opinion.....
ETA:
A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said......

8 comments:

FXSmom said...

Yeah those are some whacked out priorities right there!!

Linda said...

It's all so crazy! Yeah, we found a few things that I would LOVE to have, but again, they're not necessary for my life (I heard they had a Tinkerbell and Friends Cricut Cartridge at Michaels for $29.99...now I'd like THAT!). That woman buying a TV, iPod and DVD's...then saying a lot of people won't be getting Christmas presents. I don't see the need for a new flat screen TV...unless the one you have at home has died...and then again, a lot of folks I know don't even have a TV anyway; it's NOT A NEED.

Like you, I've been caught up in the "gimmes and I wants"...but there has to be a point where you finally realize it's all madness.

*this from the person who just bought a new laptop - a 10th anniversary gift - we waited for today since Dell would have them on sale online...and we saved almost $400 over what we'd seen last week.

BUT - it's necessary in order for Scott to do his schoolwork, and for me to use for business (when I get that up).

SB said...

a laptop is a durable MUCH NEEDED item. You were smart to wait!

brody's mom said...

We went people watching this morning at Opry Mills in Tennessee at 12:01am the stores opened. You could hardly tell that we are in a recession.

SB said...

Ain't that the truth! I went to Wal-Mart for one small thing and Wal-Mart was relatively tame. But TARGET was insane. Not a single space was open.

It's my untrained opinion that LOTS of people are still going to fill their baskets this holiday season.

Peggy said...

Those articles were so very disturbing! We don't do Black Friday shopping. The way people act - I can't stand it. We are almost finished with our shopping too. We have been very frugal. We are focused on just being together!

Jessica said...

You hit that nail on the head! We stayed home today, filled up on leftovers and played board games. So much fun! The gifts I purchased this year were educational in nature as well. I am already done. I usually buy a few small things at a time whenever I have a little extra on payday and accumulate gifts throughout the year on sale. It is easier for us that way. The Walmart story really made me sick to my stomach. What a shame!

rennratt said...

I haven't even started shopping yet. I can't imagine finding anything so good that it's worth dying (or killing, for that matter) over.

When I *do* shop, it will be minimal.