Wednesday, November 19, 2008

cheap fun

It's a simple Christmas around my house.
Not a huge amount of gifts.

For two reasons actually:

1) I am working hard to steer the kids away from wanting. I am trying to turn that off. It starts with me, I know....I don't want them growing up EXPECTING huge gifts (like I did, I am ashamed to admit).

2) I simply don't have the money for that kind of shopping. Even the gifts I will buy will be fun AND educational.

So what did I do? I hit the local thrift stores. I havea total $120 budget for all three kids and I have to stretch it as far as I can. It's a challenge. (I am hoping to spend just $100 total and save the $20 for the kids' to donate to Sunday School.).....

Well, if you have faith (and patience) and a ton of persistence and a little bit of cash, you can get lucky at the Thrift stores...I shop at Resourceful Woman Thrift Shop and I love their selection and their prices. Get this: kids' books are TEN CENTS. Nothing costs ten cents anymore!! I love it!! I bought one lil thing for me there today: a scarf and hat set for $4.50, it's to die for cute. All stripey and soft. I grew up in Texas where people freak out if it drops below 50 degrees, so I have never been one to explore the fashion of scarves and such.....



Plus I bought a new purse. Well, new to me, that is...I must be the ONLY woman in the world who hates to shop for purses. But my current purse is too small and this causes me stress. So I spent $4.50 on a purse I will hate for a few weeks and then decide I can't live without and will refuse to change purses for 4+ years. Yep, that's me....

I also shop at blossom and bloom, which is a thrift store that benefits the LARC, which benefits my son's school! Every kindness is paid forward, this one literally. Today while at Blossom and Bloom, I scored THIS....for $0.75.....!! (Ignore the pile of clothing in the 1st picture...it was the Maid's day off...)



My kids were THRILLED with this (so was I). I trained on this during my stroke recovery. Great for fine motor and concentration. Plus it requries ZERO batteries. And for the record, I can make it to the 30's....I am just that good.

I would love to SHOW you the other scores I got today, but my kids read my blog. And they will know what I bought.

Now, I am off to go shopping with Jonathan at MARTIN’S® Food Markets in Winchester. I don't really NEED anything, but Jonathan needs some 1-to-1 time with me and Martin's has a cool Tree House in-store care place where I can park the kidlets while he and I cruise the aisles. He loves it and I love talking with him while we walk....

2 comments:

ohhollyf said...

Those are my top two thrift syore, not including Salvation Army on the other side of town. You scored some geart deals. I'm looking forward to Nov.24 th.!

Berry Patch said...

Great deals! I love shopping at thrift stores.