Wednesday, November 19, 2008

simply can't be Wordless Wednesday

I was going to TRY to be wordless, but I gave up after about 10 seconds.
I am embrace my wordiness, people!!
So for you Wordless pleasure I offer you these:


I use a Zojirushi Bread Machine and I love it. LOVE.IT. It is worth the high price and the loss of counter space. It is THE best bread machine. If I didn't own this, my baking would lack a certain oomph, trust me.

Step 1 says you have to use bread flour from the one and only, King Arthur Flour....to learn more about KAF, go to King Arthur Flour home page. That is the ONLY flour I use. And I bake rolls at least 5x per week.



Step 4 shows you a lot about my simple lil life: the stack of homeschooling info in the background, my favorite over mitts (lined with Kevlar, they are indispensable and cost me a small fortune a few years ago. They are sooooo worth every penny). And my stoneware pan from The Pampered Chef. I went through a big PC phase back in Alaska and this was one of the free things I got for having a show. I do like PC products, but wish they weren't so expensive....and no, I don't want to host another show...not yet, at least.

The Most Amazing and Super Simple Cinnamon Rolls evah!!
The Dough:
1.5 cups of warm water
3 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of buttermilk or dried milk
1.5 teaspoons salt 1/4 cup sugar
4 cups of King Arthur Flour
2.5 teaspoons of Instant Yeast
The Filling:
1 cup of brown sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
1 tablespoon cinnmon
The Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
The Rolls:
Place all of the dough ingredients in your machine's fully assmebled pan and select the dough cycle. Remember to keep your yeast away from the suar. (I add sugar in the with water so there's no chance that they will touch)
When dough is done, remove it to a floured surface, and roll it out to 1/2 inch thickness.
Spread the filling as evenly as possible, right to the edges. (I use a palette knife).
Then start at the end closest to you, and roll towards you, to form a dough log.
Next using a sharp knife, cut the log into 1 inch to 1.5 inch sections. These are your rolls!
Place them cut side down in highly sided, lightly oiled baking pan.
Cover with damp light towel and place in warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
While the rolls are rising, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
After rolls have risen, bake them at 350 for 40 minutes.
Remove rolls from oven and drizzle with icing.
Serve hot with coffee or tea.
filling:
In small bowl, combine all filling ingredients and mix until well combined.
Icing: In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and milk/cream. Mix well. You might need the extra tablespoon of milk. Icing should be thick but drizzable.
Once you make these, you will see why it's so worth the effort. And it's much much cheaper than store bought rolls. There's something very comforting about pulling fresh rolls out of the ovens. Makes me feel very accomplished.



2 comments:

bakers said...

Thanks for the mention. We love cinnamon rolls here, and yours look fantastic!

Happy Baking!
MaryJane @ King Arthur Flour

Berry Patch said...

ooohhh - those look super yummy!!!