Saturday, November 22, 2008

stew, my crockpot and the chill


Has anyone noticed that winter is coming? Even here in mild Virginia, it's a wee bit chilly.
Winter makes me think of comfort food.
Which makes me think of my crockpot.
Which makes me think of my go-to recipe for Stew.
It's from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker by Dawn J Ranck (I have the entire series. Your library should have it, too....)
Page 84 in my book is where you find "Lazy Day Stew" (My copy has thumbprints from food of tasty meals goneby.
Lazy Day Stew
2# Stew beef, cubed and browned
2 cups of diced carrots (I use whole baby carrots so they don't turn to mush)
2 cups of diced potatoes (i use big chunks, again, to avoid the mush factor)
2 medium onions (I don't use that much)
1 cup chopped celery (Greg is anti-celery so I don't use this at all)
1 cup of green beans
2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 cup of water ( I use a can of low-salt beef broth with GREAT results!)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Place browned beef in crockpot. Surround with potatoes and veggies.
2. Sprinkle tapioca, salt and pepper over ingredients.
3. Mix tomato sauce with water (or beef broth) and pour over top.
4. Sprinkle brown sugra (and a little dusting of course ground black pepper) over the top.
5. Cover. Cook for 8 hours on low.
This is a standard on my frugal menu. I have it at least twice a month, using leftover veggies from various meals plus leftover beef from meals. I just stick my leftover veggies in a container in my freezer. When it's full, I make stew. If I want stew and don't have enough veggies, I just sub in frozen mixed veggies.
I serve this with my World Famous cornbread. Ok, it's not famous, but it's REALLY good. If you guys are nice, I'll share that recipe, too. If it's cold where you are, this stew will warm you, save you money AND make your house smell tasty!

2 comments:

FXSmom said...

mmmm cornbread :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Punget Stew from that book...don't have it near or I'd look up the page for you. I'll have to try the lazy day one too. Always enjoying your blog...Happy Thanksgiving.

Peggy E.