Wednesday, December 17, 2008

don't be all Grinchy....

I know the economy really isn't fun right now.
And some of us won't have super elaborate Martha-Stewart like Christmases.
(Personally, Martha gives me the creeps.....)
Anyhow....my point of today's rambling is that you CAN be filled with Christmas Spirit even if you're broke.

Even though I originally established a budget of $150, I did go over it. (I think I have spent $225 total.) Just a wee bit. I didn't go hog-wild and get my kids a Wii or anything. I did go to the Warehouse Book Sale that Scholastic had nearby and spent my money wisely. I got a HUGE stack of books that we'll be able to use in the Homeschool classroom. Plus some really cool gifts. $60 got me about 20 books.

I have had the hardest time shopping for Jonathan. Jonathan has fragile x...if you're new to my blog, you might be asking What is Fragile X Syndrome? Just click and learn more about it...

Jonathan is 20 now but has the mind (and interests) of a 4 to 6-year old. Well, that's not entirely true. I did ask Jonathan what he wanted and his gift requests were as follows.

  • a girl
  • some drums
  • a girl
  • a trumpet

Well, we all know I won't be wrapping up a girl for him. And musical instruments are not his thing....I really struggle with what to buy him. It's VERY hard to find things that are age appropriate and won't end up as weapons/projectiles. (Jonathan has behavioral outbursts and ends up throwing things at me when he's mad...He threw his small TV at me, his boombox at me....and so on and so on...it took him a full year to earn his CD player back....) so I am cautious about what I put in his room. He is more comfortable, from a sensory angle, with minimalist surroundings...

But buying him gifts has always been hard. I remember the one Christmas it was easy. He was 2. That was the last time it was truly easy....Let me be honest: he would be THRILLED if I bought him a DVD of some obnoxious cartoon character like Barney. He still loves that stuff (I don't let him watch it though...I have to draw the line somewhere...)

So to save money, Jonathan and I are making gifts. We made cocoa mix for his teachers. (You can find the recipe I used here: MotherLoad: The MomAdvice.com Blog) I hope his teachers like it. I made Jonathan do the measuring, the stirring, the packing of the jars and he's helping me color the cards tonight. It has to come from HIS heart. He was sooooo happy helping me. I was singing Christmas carols.....which he promptly asked me to stop singing.

It really is the thought that counts. Just ask Jonathan. When I asked him what Christmas was all about, he did NOT say "Presents!!!" like his siblings. He said, "Hanging out with you and Dad....."

It's all about family, togetherness.
You might not have a glitzty holiday ,
(I won't and I am good with that) but you probably have a lot more than some folks.
Have joy in your heart.
Be thankful of your many blessings.
And don't be all Grinchy.....

And speaking of the Grinch...I had the children show me their best Grinch face...
Micaela cannot help but smile. And then there's Adam, who could give Jack Nicholson a run for his money. Adam is VERY dramatic. I promise in real life, he's not scary...and the kids made me do it, too.

Don't be a Grinch......


Jonathan's Grinch photo will be added later. He's at school right now....

4 comments:

Berry Patch said...

Okay - I had to scroll QUICKLY past Adam's photo - seriously! Oh my! LOL Love the photos!!! You are so right too - it's not all about the presents. It's the memories & the traditions & love & hope...well, you get the picture. ;-)

FXSmom said...

Matty is so hard to buy for too. I only have him a movie right now. I want each kid to have at least 2 presents under the tree but beside clothes I have no other ideas. So clothes it shall be.

Anonymous said...

Love that Grinch! That is what I feel like these days.

April said...

Oh these Grinch pictures are too cute!!!! My kids would love doing these. I will have to remember this for next year!