Monday, December 01, 2008

tools for learning...

In our lil Homeschool, AKA Balvanz Academy, we use a lot of tools.
From all sorts of places.
At all different levels.
I was worried about this before I started hs'ing the both of them: Micaela is below grade level and Adam is above. How would I conquer soooo much information?

Well, I was told by a wise veteran homeschooler to explore ALL that is available to me.
I took that statement seriously.
So imagine my excitement when I was asked to review Time4Learning.



Here's the goods:
  • not JUST for homeschoolers. You can use it as supplemental materials, after school work, or even for summer school. It has so much to offer!
  • Has lessons, exercises and assessments,
  • Math, Language Arts and much more.
  • Covers from preschool through 8th grade!

The part that I liked best was that it grabs my kids' attention. Both of my children have different learning styles and it engaged BOTH of them. It was fun to watch them figuring it out. It is at the child's pace. Adam was ALL OVER the Math, and surprisingly, Micaela was, too. It is a computer based learning system, so unless you have a laptop, you're stuck at a desk. My kids each have their own computer so this was not a problem for us, but I could see where that would be an issue for families scheduling computer usage with more than one student.

I did like the fact that it's totally web-based. There's no software to update or keep track of....

But after the trial month was up, the kids were sad because I ended up not signing them up. Not because I didn't like the set-up that they offer, but because of the expense. For the first student, it's $19.95 per month. Add a second child for only $14.95 /month. For this, you get your own login and a complete language arts and math program. Plus, they do provide a 14 day money-back guarantee. For my current financial situation, I couldn't afford another $35.00 per month on something they would using occasionally. If it had been cheaper, I might have gone for it.

All in all, I think it's a great program. It just didn't represent the best value for my homeschool family. Visit Time4Learning to learn more and see if this resource might be just what you've been looking for to round out your child's educational resources.

No comments: