Saturday, January 17, 2009

Wanna Play? FREE iTunes CARD!!

I won a lil contest over at Holly's blog at allthedaysofmylife . It's called Pay it Foward....I am told that the rules say you run a lil contest and pay a nicetie forward...(Holly gave me an awsome prize!! a $25 GC to TGI Friday's)....so here we go:


Pay It Forward (2000) was a movie way back a few years ago...I liked it. It shows how no matter how small your action, it affects someone else. Even if you don't see it. I am a big believer in the ripples in the pond called Life (I KNOW that sounds sappy but work with me here....)
Many times in my life, I have been shown kindnesses. From people I knew and from those I didn't. One Christmas, I didn't have anything. I mean nothing....Jonathan and I were on our own. We had each other and little else. Times were tight as a single Mom. And then Christmas rolled around.


It was a few days before Christmas and there was a knock at my door. I opened the door and was greeted by people from the church that I'd attended, arms filled with groceries, a turkey (which at the time I had NO IDEA how to cook), a ham, cases of canned goods and TOYS galore for Jonathan. I was so humbled with this kindness that I had not asked for. They just saw a need and filled it. That Christmas, I made a promise to give of myself every Christmas to follow. Because somewhere, there was someone who was in need. And true to my word, I give. Willingly and with a grateful heart. And not just at Christmas. I try to give year-round. Homelessness and hunger know no season. I give lots of groceries to a Women's Shelter. I believe in giving....

So....for My blog-version Pay it Forward, I would like to challenge you to extend a kindness. Maybe drop off a bag of canned goods to a Shelter, toys to a Group Home, Babysit a friend's child so they can have a break, something small. Most churches work closely with organizations that reach into the community and help others, so if you don't know where to go, ask your church. if you don't have a church home, ask me and I'll help you find someplace!

So leave me a comment about a kindness or good deed that changed your life, your opinion. It can be something you did or something that was done to/for you....Share a story with me in the comment section.
Your prize? It's rather small (but I am on a tight budget and prizes for my blog is sadly not a high priority.....) It's a $10.00 iTunes gift card, plus something extra that I am not telling you about-nothing fancy, just something small that I made-. I'll keep the contest open for a week or so, but don't delay. Tell a friend. Heck, tell the world. The more, the merrier. Just think of the potential for kindness that we can inspire!! If you win, you should pay it forward, as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We payed it forward yesterday (before I even read your blog this morning!!!) Do you know Dave Ramsey (budgeting/finance guy)???...his book TOTAL MONEY MAKEOVER has TOTALLY changed our financial life. It is a series of 7 steps. We finished step 2 yesterday (Pay off all debt except the house!!!--it took us 9 long, difficult budgeting months), and to celebrate we went out and bought his book and gave it to a friend of ours who is struggling with debt, and the economy has really hurt his commision based job. We had told him about it, and he seemed very interested, but we knew he wouldn't go get the book. (And we have never even owned it ourselves, we were loaned a copy from a friend!)

Peggy E
holly.lynn@live.com

niv_bp said...

Hi Suzanne,
I would like to tell you about something that was done for my wife
My wife's sister came to visit us last week. We have a 4 month old daughter and my wife's sister took her out for walks every day for about 3 hours giving my wife time to sleep (which is a great gift for someone in her state).

Linda said...

gosh...there have been so many things happen to me that changed how I think. Like you, we had a pretty tough Christmas the year my dad divorced my mom. I just remember people being there for us, making sure there were gifts for us, etc.

One of the most recent things I can think of was when I had my hysterectomy. I was still in the hospital when Hannah's kindergarten teacher brought over a meal for Scott and the kids. Then another mom brought a meal, and later on, a 3rd mom...all from Hannah's kindergarten. I think that what touched me most was that these women barely knew me. It meant more to me because of that.

And I've paid it forward many times...I'm always one of the first to sign up to make a meal for a mom with a new child, to pull the angels from the Angel Tree...to pick the mom who needs a little extra and give what I can.

Dawn said...

Your story about Christmas kindness inspired me to share something that happened to me when we were also young, first married, and on a tight budget.

I was just a teen and gave life to our little girl. But it was a struggle financially, of course (my husband and I married).

It was the first Christmas party we were all going to as a family (at my family's house) and we couldn't afford gifts. So I baked cookies for everyone and put them into tins.

I felt so embarrassed by my small gifts compared to the extravagant presents everyone else was giving and receiving.

But when my older cousin opened up my cookies, he almost teared up, came over to me, hugged me and told me it was one of the best gifts he'd received.

I can't begin to tell you how that one act of kindness from him made me feel. Instead of embarrassed, I felt that my gift was special and actually meant something to someone. It made all the difference in the world to me that Christmas. :)

He And Me + 3 said...

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi...Holly won the pay it forward from my blog, so it is nice to see it is going on. Thanks for keeping the giving spirit going.
Mimi

Eric said...

I won a free iPod at a contest. I already had one so I didn't know what to do with it. I later met a guy who had so many cds but didn't have an iPod. So I gave it to him so be could listen to all his music at once.