Thursday, February 05, 2009

butterflies, cleaning and more


1. Today is Western Monarch Day. We are using this lesson to learn more about monarchs Journey North: Monarch Butterfly Migration and this page as a tie-in for scripture http://akidsheart.com/holidays/spring/btrflycolor.htm

Micaela LOVES butterflies...in fact, I stamped butterflies in pink and purple on her walls when we moved here. She still loves them. I like butterflies, too....

2. We are liking the FIAR. It's been fun so far. The kids are learning some interesting new words (discernment, buoyancy, maturity....) it's fun watching their minds grow. I am lucky that I get to do this...

3. Our Pastor is coming over today. He's the first non-family type to visit our house since we've lived here....for 3 years. We very rarely (as in never) have visitors....Adam as upset that our Pastor is not coming over to babysit. (Apparently, Adam was hoping to hang out with Pastor and tell him some jokes...I can only imagine what that boy would be telling him....)

4. To celebrate our Pastors visit, I got out my Butter-Pecan Scone Mix (our Pastor is scone-worthy...which is a big deal to me) I love those scones so I am HOPING that I don't eat them all before he gets here!!

5. My computer is still dead. The kids are NOT lovin' me using their homeschool computer for my e-mail. Obviously we need to work on SHARING....I can't post many pictures until my own computer is fixed/replaced. All of my editing software is on that computer so my posts will be a bit on the boring picture-less side......

Now, I am off to fold more laundry while the kids color their butterflies.

2 comments:

Linda said...

mmmmm....scones....

I looked for Brainquest at my local Goodwill AND at a thrift shop called His House (it's a messy, get-lost-in-the-bookshelves, smells like cigarettes store, but all the money raised for for a local church...LOVE IT!). Didn't find it...sorry. Still have other Goodwills to hit locally. But I did find a ton of books and a cute pair of shoes! (for ME!)

Anonymous said...

If you are to be so fortunate as to have Milk Weed plants in your area, you can actually watch the entire metamorphasis process in action with the Monarch butterfly. The larva (catapillers) eat milk weed leaves. After they get large and plump, they will go to a stable place, hang upside down, shed their skin and form a chrysalis. In two to three weeks you'll see the chrysalis go from a milky emerald green to almost a black color, and you can actually see the butterfly evolving inside. When the butterfly hatches, it'll hang upside down for 8 - 12 hours while its wings dry, and then it will fly away. It is a really cool process! I used to raise Monarchs in a Miracle Whip Mayonaise jar with holes in the lid on top when I was a kid. It'd be wonderful if you could show your children this small miracle; hopefully, you can. Have agreat weekend!

JB