Friday, February 27, 2009

everyone likes a treat, don't they?

Tonight is RESPITE NIGHT!!
In my house, this is a BIG deal....any amount of kid-free time is precious.
It allows my husband and I to act like a couple, instead of JUST PARENTS...
And I am incredibly grateful to be able to HAVE a break.....

So every once in a while, I Like to bring the respite volunteers a treat, to show my appreciation.
Tonight, I am bringing chocolate covered strawberries.


Super simple (and frugal) to make. Melt one bag of chocoloate chips (Aldi $0.99), 2 teaspoons of Crisco in microwave. Let it cool slightly, then start dipping whatever you're dipping. Cool them on waxed paper and set them in the fridge. Pull toothpicks out before serving, of course.....The whole batch costs me about $3.50 to make, and that makes about 40 strawberries. I always have leftover chocolate so that's where the next treat comes in.

Since I had leftover chocolate, I was looking around for things to dip.....to use it. I hate to waste perfectly good melted chocolate. Micaela just wanted to eat it with a spoon. Then I remembered: pretzels!! I looked in my jar, and they're all gone....

That's what I get for living with pretzel hounds in my house. THEY LOVE PRETZELS....so all I have is essentially pretzel dust and bits...But I can use this..

I just mixed it all up and used up what was left....and look what it turned into....YUMMY!!

And I know you're looking at my Incredibles plate with envy. Ya can't have it.....
So if you're so inclined, make a batch for some you appreciate....

1 comment:

Catherine said...

You are ingenious, Suzanne! Those chocolate covered strawberries are ever so prohibitively expensive here. I'm using your idea . Thanks so much for sharing