Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mardi Gras and a recipe

Yesterday was Mardi Gras.
I like to consider myself a well-prepped HS momma, but with so many people having been ill in my house, it's been chaos. I couldn't find the beads. Nor the masks for the kids to decorate....so I abandoned incorporating Mardi Gras into any lesson.

But I did cook something for it. It was just for Greg and I, the kids wouldn't touch it!
And I cooked it in my lovely crockpot so it lessened my time in the kitchen.
I made Crockpot Jambalaya! And it was super easy....(which I needed, becasue food is making me queasy still). So I will share the recipe with you guys!
Crockpot Jambalaya
1 pound cooked cubed (or shredded) chicken *
1 pound sausage *
1 big can of diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped (also use red for some color)
1/2 cup of celery, chopped
1 cup of broth (I used chicken)
1 cup of water
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I left this out of mine)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails
In your crockpot, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, celery, bell peppers and broth/water. Season with spices.
Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 3 hours.
Stir in shrimp during the last 30 minutes.
* indicates leftovers from previous meals. A good way to clear out your freezer.
Serve with cornbread or buttered bread. I planned on serving it with cornbread but I was too wiped out to make it....but I have THE BEST cornbread recipe....
Review: Greg liked this WAY more than I thought he would. He had two huge bowls. And he mentioned several times how good it was. As a wife, that's like a dozen roses to me, when my husband compliments my meals!

1 comment: