Monday, March 23, 2009

do I love Walgreens?

You guys who read here KNOW that I am a frugal gal.
I prefer to spend as little of my money as I have to....which is why I dig doing the Sunday bargain trip with Jonathan to CVS/pharmacy. Not only do I save money, but it's special time that's just for Jonathan and I.
Well......we've been reading all about the BIG savings at Walgreens on Money Saving Mom (if you don't read her blog already, you should...)

So tonight, I got curious enough to try out my local Walgreens. We didn't have a Walgreens within 20 miles until just recently. And it's never ever crowded...So I ventured there with ALL THREE KIDS.

Things I should have known before attenpting a Walgreen bargain hunt:

  1. You CAN use both the Walgreens circular coupons AND manufacturer's coupons. This is how you can get LOTS for free, or for very little.
  2. Look closely at BOTH coupons to match up size requirements, quantoty, etc.
  3. I will not take the wee ones next time. Jonathan was irritated with them, and when he's irrritated, it can go south quickly.....

But we escaped with the following:



Jelly Beans-used a Walgreens coupon. Got 2 jelly bean bag for $0.25 each.
Hershey Kisses-used BOTH Walgreens coupon ($1 off) and man. coupon ($3.00 off of 2 bags) They were on sale for 2/$5 so I paid $1.00 for two bags. SWEEEET!!! Now I have to hide them from the other Balvanz choco-fiends...


Stride Gum- my fave gum, usually $1.29. On sale for $0.79 with Walgreens coupon, plus I had a $2.00 off of 3 packs so I paid $0.37 for THREE packs, which means each pack was a mere $0.12!!

And just to prove that I didn't load up on sugar......I bought some other stuff, too.




Citracal-the most expensive item I purchased. Usually $13.99, but that particular bottle was clearanced for $5.39, plus Walgreens coupon for $1.00 off, plus my man. coupon for $4.00 off....left me paying $0.39 for the whole bottle....
Aveeno lotion-was clearanced for $2.39 (I love when companies clearance stuff that's perfectly good because it's coming out with a new label....) I use a $1.00 Walgreen coupon plus my $2.00 man. coupon paying $0.39 for some awesome lotion...
Then my last item was a Quattro razor. It retails for $8.29, but the Walgreens coupon took off $4.00 plus my man. coupon took another $4.00 off, which means I paid $0.29 for a brand new razor (which I will probably donate to the Women's Shelter)...

All told, I spent $2.94...Not a bad deal...and this was spontaneous.
I know I'll work it better when I plan.
(And I don't have Slurpee-requesting kids with me, eating into my profit margin.....)

So yeah...I think I might love Walgreens....

5 comments:

Paula Fasciano said...

you're amazing....you should advertise your mad coupon skills and send them out for hire...I'd pay you to save me that much $$!

Berry Patch said...

May I just say WOW!?!?! I've read about the deals at Wal-Greens before but that is just simply amazing! I can't wait until I have enough storage to buy ahead. ;-) Of course, the closest Wal-Greens & CVS are about an hour drive but a once a month excursion would be so worth it! ;-) Congrats on the awesome deals!

Peggy said...

I used to love CVS, but then I found WALGREENS! I love Walgreens. They had one in Stoneridge and I must have gone in there every other day. Since we moved.. I have not been able to find one. But guess what?? They are building one just 7 minutes away! WOOO HOO!

BTW - incredible savings on your trip. Wow!

Holly's Mom said...

You never cease to amaze me, I can;t even phathom that kind of savings. Way to go!

Sharon @CheckoutChicks said...

I love Walgreens! You can definitely get some amazing deals there. CVS is better for bulk but you can always score at Wags too.

Our mutual friend, Beth C., recommended I check out your blog. Always happy to add another frugal site to my list of visits!

Sharon