Monday, March 02, 2009

dry skin, anyone??

It's chilly here in DC. We've had a small late winter snow (not the blizzard they were predicting..althuogh I hear other parts of the East Coast are getting slammed...)

Winter makes Adam's skin VERY dry. He was born with the dryest skin his doctor had ever seen. We've tried EVERY lotion available with and without a prescription.


His skin cracks, bleeds, and feels like sand without the proper care. The combination that works for him is this: Neutrogena Body Oil, SKIN RELIEF MOISTURIZING CREAM AVEENO® Skin Care Products and our homemade Scrub. I use ALL THREE after bathtime. (If I had to skip one for him, I'd skip the Neutrogena Body Oil....but that's selfish BECAUSE IT'S MY FAVORITE....)


So in case you have dry skin and you're looking for a home spa treatment, maybe you can give this a try. Keep in mind: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I am just a momma with a kid who has wicked dry skin.



Soft as a Baby's Butt Salt Scrub
10 min prep makes 1 jar


(cost analysis per batch with listed ingredients: $1.80)

1 cup fine salt
1/2 cup
oats, ground up fine
1/4 cup
powdered milk
1/4 cup
baking soda
1/2 cup baby oil, maybe more
2 teaspoons Aloe Vera Oil**




** It costs about $7.00 for a small bottle and I only use maybe 2 teaspoons per batch. Lasts a LONG time. Worth the extra $$. Bought mine at the local health food store.

1. Mix the dry ingredients in blender, add the baby oil, it should look like wet sand now.
2. Decide for yourself if you want the consistency oilier and if you do, add more oil. (bot not too much....)
3. Measure out 2 teaspoons of Aloe Vera Oil, mix and transfer to a jar.
4. When using in the shower, make sure you are on a non-slip surface.

Notes:
This is FRAGRANCE FREE. It smells good from the baby oil though!!
I use about 1/2 cup to 1 cup for each bath's application. One jar lasts us about 1 month.
This has saved Adam's skin.
I also gave the recipe to a cashier at my local grocery store and her Girl Scout troop made it with great results!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Would this work with sugar too? Did you have a great sugar scrub recipe at one time? Would love to see that again. Searched your blog but couldn't find it.

SB said...

I suppose you COULD use sugar (but it's more expensive and I find salt to be a better exfoliator)..

:)

rennratt said...

I made this last year for Nooze's 1st grade teacher.

Her (former) teacher approached her last week and asked if she could have another jar. Nooze was quite pleased, and has asked me every day if we could make "Miss M" more scrub!

I've used it myself - and love it! (I have to be careful during outbreaks because of the salt, but for the most part? It is wonderful!)

Cheer Mom said...

Thanks for the great idea Suzanne. I'll pass it on to Rhonda. Poor Dominic has so many allergies as well as skin apparently like Adam's. Never had nice soft baby skin. Will let you know how it works out.