Thursday, March 26, 2009

remodeling....

Greg is hard at work on the remodeling our upstairs bathroom.
MY JOB is more on the design front......I picked the paint!



I won't give too many details but I will tell you this: THIS is the color of the walls. Very pale, neutral, calming.....I think it'll look nice. It's some environmentally friendly paint called The Freshaire Choice. It's special (which means it costs $10 more per gallon). That's what I get for falling for one color....but supposedly, it's friendlier to asthma, which works for me....

We have many projects ahead of us. The previous owners were awful.....they took shortcuts EVERYWHERE. Basically, they treated this house like a rental car..... It was just about 2 years ago that we had to rip out carpet to the sub-floor to rid our bedroom of the smell of cat urine....yuck! I would swear that their cat used our former closet as a litterbox. Luckily, I married a Fixer and we remodeled our bedroom.

So we're just taking it one small project at a time, as money allows (which isn't much).
Have you ever tried to be frugal while remodeling? Sheesh.....it's tough.

  1. Our first stop was the library, to load up on books (for free).
  2. Then we mapped out every project that we want to undertake. This meant measuring and doing a budget for each individual project.
  3. We planned when we will purchase the required items and we'll be utilizing the 10% military discount at Lowes and Home Depot that are usually offered at 4th of July....

Taking these steps somewhat removes the emotional whimsy that can overtake me when we start projects. I have to distance myself and not be so emotional.....I am realistic: this won't always be my house. As a MilSpouse, I'm always one step away from movin' on. So I am not going to spend a small fortune that *I* will not enjoy.....

I am so grateful that I married a man who knows his way around his tools. He's creative, hardworking and WILLING to do this for his family. BTW, I am saving my SwagBucks towards the remodeling.....I can trade those points for Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards, so I am clicking and searching my way to free stuff!! Woooo HOOOO!

2 comments:

Berry Patch said...

I agree - my hubby is great with home projects. We'll be building a house soon so it will certainly come in handy! ;-) Love the new paint color btw...

rennratt said...

I highly recommend visiting Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores.

Here is the link for VA:

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_detail.aspx?place=46

Many construction companies (mine included) often donate overage/unused material to these stores. There isn't anything wrong with the material; it is often cheaper to take a hit & a tax write off than it is to pay a restock fee to our vendors. I promise that if you look closely enough, you'll probably find some REALLY GREAT deals.

Good luck!