Wednesday, April 01, 2009

debt, planning and frugality


I was lying awake last night thinking...
Thinking about debt and how it weighs you down.
It can crush you...if you let it.
I was helping someone recently who was frustrated adn she blurted out, "What do you know Suzanne? You are the Coupon Queen!"
Well, lemme tell you: I learned the HARD WAY.
I have not always been smart with my money. Far from it. Like many people, I made foolish decision as a younger person and paid dearly for it. But it wisened me and from that, I can help someone else. I firmly believe that EVERYTHING God has allowed me to live through can help me to "teach" someone else.

SO.... I was thinking about debt, and frugality and money.
We have a plan.....If we stay on track,in 12-18 months, the only debt we will have is our house. That's IT. I like the feeling of having a plan.

Being frugal is all about having a plan.
I plan my weekly menu.
I plan my trips into town to maximize my gas usage.
I plan my day.
This person, who was so frustrated, was complaining about all the "planning". I mentioned to her, gently, that it was her LACK of planning that was hurting her. Planning is not glamorous. There's no pageant for Miss Coupon Planner 2009, but it does save my family a small fortune. And since frugality is the New Black, people are discovering that it takes PLANNING. Which means it's actual work. Which means it's no fun.



Well....I challenge that! I do have fun. You know what's fun? Not freaking out at 5pm, puling my hair out trying to come up with some dinner idea. I KNOW WHAT'S FOR DINNER. Because I planned.

Planning & frugality are a blessing that we choose to accept:

1. I don't stress over "what's-for-dinner".

2. I don't waste money on unneccessary groceries.

3. My family knows IN ADVANCE what their meals are.

4. I plan for takeaways and lunches, saving my husband the trouble of eating out.

5. I don't have to be a slave to my kitchen. (which means I should have time to do all of my laundry.....but that's a whole 'nother issue!!)

6. Did you know it's been said that most home cooks have an average of 21 meals in their recipe rotation. I KNOW MY 21......do you?

7. Planning NOW saves me time LATER, when I want to relax.

For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is. --Colossions 2:5

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I love your attitude, Suzanne.

Berry Patch said...

Exactly & amen! It took Bob & I a LONG time to get where we are today. We made the same mistakes over & over again. You'd think we'd learn! ;-) If we continue on our course, we'll be debt free by the end of the year except for our truck (I think). But we have no house payment - yet. We are planning to build a house & while we wanted to do it debt-free, we may incur some debt but it will be our ONLY debt. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I keep learning more tips every time you post, Suzanne. Keep up the good work!

rennratt said...

I've been listening to the Dave Ramsey series on casette during my commute to and from work.

This was after reading his book.

I am encouraged that, even if *I* am the only one that works on it (Chachi will come around eventually), my example and practice will help us out!

I love your ideas. They may take 'work' at first, but it only takes 21-28 days to make things a habit!

Anonymous said...

I too know frugality and planning very well, and I could not agree with you more. As the old saying goes, "A fool and their money are parted easily." And, you know it's true!

JB